dual monitors effect gameplay

adam aim

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I have a i5-6400, 8gb ddr3 ram, 1050Ti 4gb and i was wondering if another monitor @ 1920,1080p and i was wondering when running games like Rainbow Six Siege on HIGH presets would it effect gameplay and fps?

Many thanks,
adam

Solution
Hi Adam,

I am currently using a two monitor setup (2 monitors @ 1680x1050 each, on GPU:Radeon HD 7950 3GB, CPU: Phenom II X6 @3GHz, 8 GB RAM) , where I game on one monitor, and keep other applications (like office apps, web explorers, video players etc) running on the other monitor. It doesn't really affect FPS that much, even if you are playing a video at the same time (maybe by a factor of 5-10% if you compare fps from the 1-monitor setup to the 2-monitor one), and you get extra desktop space for working on other apps at the same time. Keep in mind that some games do not limit mouse movements, so your mouse might slip outside the gaming window and click on the other monitor's desktop space or running app, making the other app active...

Ekder_Physics

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Hi Adam,

I am currently using a two monitor setup (2 monitors @ 1680x1050 each, on GPU:Radeon HD 7950 3GB, CPU: Phenom II X6 @3GHz, 8 GB RAM) , where I game on one monitor, and keep other applications (like office apps, web explorers, video players etc) running on the other monitor. It doesn't really affect FPS that much, even if you are playing a video at the same time (maybe by a factor of 5-10% if you compare fps from the 1-monitor setup to the 2-monitor one), and you get extra desktop space for working on other apps at the same time. Keep in mind that some games do not limit mouse movements, so your mouse might slip outside the gaming window and click on the other monitor's desktop space or running app, making the other app active (you loose control of the game until you click back on the game's window/monitor)

If you are planning to game on BOTH monitors (same game running on 2 monitors), I have already tried it, but I would not recommend it. It is really impractical, confusing and irritating, ESPECIALLY for FPS games, as the crosshair (which is located in the middle of the screen) gets split between the two screen making it really impractical, confusing and irritating, thus making gameplay not enjoyable. I would suggest going with a 3 monitor setup to avoid such issues.

Even so, if you still want to try gaming on 2 monitors, you should expect at least a 20-30% fps drop, because your GPU will have more on its hands to deal with (more resolution = more stuff to calculate and proccess :) ).

Hope this helped you make up your mind :)

Solution