Repurpose Surveillance Hard-Disk For Storage

Thresholds

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I found a good deal for some surveillance drives (Seagate) which I would like to use for storage purposes so just fill them up with data and put them away.
Should this be fine or which problems might arise?

If not would it be possible to flash them with a "general purpose" firmware from the same manufacturer to "convert" them?

Many thanks to whomever will help me. :)

Yea just go in and start using them. I would use something like Crystal Disk Info or HD Sentinal to make sure the drives are good but the Surveillance drives are designed to take a beating though on the write side of things so using them as a cold storage / backup drive will be perfectly fine

Most of hard-disk based NVRs (where your disks came from) are Linux-based, so there is good possibility these drives are formatted with Linux-only file system. You'll have to repartition them if you will used them in Windows.

Thresholds

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

All righty very good, thank you all.
I will use them under Windows so I guess it will ask me to format them in case they are Linux-based and if not I should be able to manage, thank you.

I am still curious about the flashing a new bios possibility though as I might buy 2 and use one as extra storage for my desktop: is this at all feasible or do I risk of bricking the HDD?

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS