Stuck in bsod loop DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdex

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I was using my computer under medium load and suddently got a BSOD. Now i can't boot, i get same BSOD over and over again before i can get into windows and it's stuck in a loop so it doesn't enter into recovery mode by itself.

I got a win10 usb key so i used this to get into recovery mode and i have access to command prompt right now

- ]SFC /scannow fails with error "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again."

- DISM doesnt work

- Can't get into safe mode

- /bcdedit will not work and bcdedit /enum says "the boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found"

- in command prompt, if i type "cd C:" it doesn't work and i can't see the root of my win10 ssd. however i can access other drivers

- in bios, my 960 pro SSD is still detected in the boot devices

- /fixmbr and /fixboot completed successfully but didnt fix the issue

Possible causes? :

- I recently upgraded to a Samsung 960 pro NVME SSD few weeks ago. Maybe it's dead ?

- I had an automatic nvidia driver upgrade today, i was asked to reboot and clicked "later". Then BSOD. Maybe corrupted driver because the update couldnt finish ? Sometimes driver upgrades are trigerred in the background when rebooting.

- Usual noob errors excluded here. I'm an experienced IT, this was a 100% stable machine all hardware tested and operating 24/7 since 9 months. Drivers were up to date, ram is memtested, cpu is stresstested, ssd was tested and benchmarked w ssd magician and hdd sentinel, windows was up to date, no malwares, no virus, etc.

config:
Windows 10 Pro
i7-6950x
gtx 1080 titan x pascal
samsung 960 pro nvme
msi x99a

i'd really appreciate some help. Thanks !

Solution
you should be able to turn driver verifer off in CMD by typing Verifier /reset

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983

if you boot off a USB, the drive letters get mixed up so one of the other drives might be C

sfc/dism don't play well offline (offline = not logged into windows)

so if you try this you can't get into safe mode?
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

if you can...

Colif

Win 11 Master
you should be able to turn driver verifer off in CMD by typing Verifier /reset

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983

if you boot off a USB, the drive letters get mixed up so one of the other drives might be C

sfc/dism don't play well offline (offline = not logged into windows)

so if you try this you can't get into safe mode?
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

if you can get into here, uninstall nvidia drivers since error happened after you installed them.

Solution

AndrewBC

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Ja, this happened to me. Tinkering around with Driver Verification (just exploring) and everytime I rebooted I'd get this "driver verifier detected violation" or some such. No getting into the machine whatever I did. No safe mode, no reg-remote, zilch.
36 hrs of tearing my hair out. Lightbulb moment - took boot drive out, stuck it in dusty old XP laptop, used EasyBCD to change boot entry to safe mode and I was in! Verifier.exe /reset. Changed BCD entry back to normal and I'm home. Now to try and remember all my little BIOS tweaks and what not. Phew! What a palaver! I learned something from that.....but I'm not sure what... Andrew

fib3r

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
After a couple of "boot loops", you'll get the screen saying It looks like windows didn't load correctly.

• 1: Click See advanced repair options.
    2: Click Troubleshoot
    3: Click Windows startup settings
    4: Click Restart (wait while the pc restarts)
    5: Press 6 (Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt)
    6: Once the PC has booted, a command prompt will be displayed. Type verifier.exe /reset and press Enter
    7: Press Ctrl + Alt + Del, click the power icon and choose restart.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.