TN or IPS or VA

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Help me decide which monitor please and thanks, I'm looking at these - ASUS MG279Q 1440p 4ms TN panel or ASUS MG278Q 1440p 1ms IPS panel or BenQ XR3501 1080p 4ms VA panel or Acer XZ350CU 1080p 4ms VA Panel, LG 34UM69G-B 1080p 5ms (75hz others are 144hz) IPS panel with free Ghost Recon download or the LG 34UC79G-B 5ms IPS panel also with the free game download.

Right now I'm using the LG 32 inch 1080P TV on game mode, I tested the response time with www.testufo.com it gives between 10 - 23 .3ms depending on amount of pixels.

I play 45% World of Tanks, 35% RPGs, RTGs - first person shooters, 20% movies/video streaming.

I will eventually upgrade to a GTX1070, but for now the GTX970 will do.

Solution
Generalizations shouldn't be discussed when actual models are given. The reason is the panel techs overlap a lot nowadays and the models in question even prove it. But you are completely wrong about contrast. Va's main advantage is high contrast and only gets beaten by led. Both of those va are amva and the asus ips is ahva, which is ips not va in case you didn't know although not really relevant. Ips glows completely ruins the experience for me and I would not suggest it for gaming even though many want to have it over tn.

Tom's has reviewed asus 279q, benq, acer and lg uc79 monitors. Actually the acer is the z35, the gsync version, not xz35 but I believe it's the same panel with just the gsync module. The 279q ips version is overall...
So quick bit of correction/clarification, because I saw a 1440p 1ms IPS panel and was a bit confused.
ASUS MG279Q = 27", 2560x1440, 144hz, IPS, 4ms
ASUS MG278Q = 27", 2560x1440, 144hz, TN, 1ms
BenQ XR3501 = 35", 2560x1080‎, 144hz, Advanced MVA (VA), 4ms
Acer XZ350CU = 35", 2560 x 1080, 144hz, VA, 4ms

So how heavy in to FPS are you? RPG, RTS and movies will be fine with the slower gray to gray times but the better color depth and accuracy of the IPS and VA panels. But if you're a twitchy CS:GO kinda player you're going to want to stick with the TN panel with it's better response time.

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

I'm starting out now with FPS's, but I've always had a bad time before with the amd cpu, having it jump from 60 to next to nothing and when it dropped below 30 on my dell 1680x1050 16:10, it always made me noxious.
after I started using my LG TV the frames pretty much stayed the same but it didn't bother me as much, but after I built my 6700k rig then the FPS went pass 100 so this was much better, recently I OC'd the TV to 75hz but this is starting to make me noxious again, perhaps because it's not the native refresh rate.

Please explain what you mean with color differences between the panels?

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Either way if I OC the display or not, World of Tanks keeps getting updates and every time it does it's just too much for my displays to handle, I compare Fall out 4 between my LG 32" and my Galaxy S7, I know it's a lot smaller with higher resolution and it's just a video on the phone compared to the game on my rig but I also compare videos, again it has to do with picture size but also compare it with the 1080 monitors in the stores they just look so much better.

TN panels = Fast response time (G2G response time, ex. 1ms) and refresh rate (ex, 144hz) than VA or IPS. Limited viewing angle. Colors and contrast are traditionally not that great. Lower price with high performance usually makes this the gamers choice.

VA Panels = Typically slower response time than IPS, but higher refresh rate than IPS , better color and contrast than TN but not as good as IPS. A weird middle ground between TN and IPS. Response time has gotten better over the years.

IPS panels = Slower response time than TN but usually better than VA. You usually wont see 144hz models until pretty high up in the price range where TN panels can hit it for under $300. Colors, contrast and viewing angle is usually the best of the panel options. IPS is what people will choose when they are more concerned about color accuracy than response time.

Depends on the age and the quality. TN panels have matured very well and very quickly in the last few years so you can see an inexpensive one built today competing or beating out a mid range to high end one from 5 years ago. A $150 IPS panel built today will probably not out perform a $1000 IPS from 5 years ago, the tech just doesn't get that much better that fast. Where as a $1000 IPS panel built today, should out perform the $1000 IPS panel from 5 years ago. So you'd have to do an apples to apples comparison.

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I have to say I agree with all but the contrast ratio, where VA usually has about 3 times as much, now if these newer ips panels have better software to reach a higher range say like 1500 - 2000 : 1 then that would still be 50 - 33 % less the the VA, but it would be a sacrifice for better color saturation/uniformity, but I lack the experience with newer monitors, Tv's I have 7 of them, 4 LEDs 1 is the LG I'm using as a monitor and the only ips led, the other ones are older LCDs 42inch va, 52inch ips and a 32inch ips, clearly the IPSs have better color and the Vas have better contrast ratio, with my Samsung 60inch 1080p having the highest contrast ratio even over my 55inch 4k sony but the sony being a va panel has the best colors and on the other hand I don't see the need to have so much contrast ratio for gaming though but it would be nice if the newer ips panels did have it better the older ones.

Generalizations shouldn't be discussed when actual models are given. The reason is the panel techs overlap a lot nowadays and the models in question even prove it. But you are completely wrong about contrast. Va's main advantage is high contrast and only gets beaten by led. Both of those va are amva and the asus ips is ahva, which is ips not va in case you didn't know although not really relevant. Ips glows completely ruins the experience for me and I would not suggest it for gaming even though many want to have it over tn.

Tom's has reviewed asus 279q, benq, acer and lg uc79 monitors. Actually the acer is the z35, the gsync version, not xz35 but I believe it's the same panel with just the gsync module. The 279q ips version is overall better anyways vs 278q tn so let's just drop it anyways. To sum it up, the benq has better color beating ips (see stay away from generalizations). Lg was the worst. Acer has the best contrast and black levels. Asus was the worst. Acer has the best response times but the difference was too small to matter. I wouldn't really buy any of these but if I really had to choose, it would be the acer as long as I move it farther away from me. That res at 35" is terrible. Color is good vs other monitors in general and the contrast matters more for me. Response time and input lag would probably matter for someone who wants 144hz even if a small win.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-predator-z35-35-inch-g-sync-curved-monitor,4473.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lg-34uc79g-34-inch-ultra-wide-freesync-monitor,4891-5.html

Solution

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Ok I failed to mention my price limit is of $600
Aside from my lack of monitor knowledge I know the difference between native and dynamic contrast ratio, from experience between ips and va tv panels although may be different from monitors the VA panels always have around 3 time as much contrast ratio.
Now I have to look at a 1080 ultra wide in person to see if I agree with k1114, because I play with the monitor about 3 feet away from my face.

USAFRet

Titan
Agreed that the specific monitor matters more than whatever letters are at the end of the model name.
My current 2 year old Asus TN panels beat out what they replaced, a pair of very nice 5 year old HP IPS panels. In every comparison.
Color rendition, response time, viewing angle, contrast. Not just by reported advertising numbers, but by my eyeballs.

I had 1 of each running side by side for several months, and could not get the HP ISP panel to look quite as good as the Asus TN. Even with a hardware colorimeter, a hueyPro.

USAFRet

Titan

No, I'm saying the only way to really know is to actually eyeball them.
I know that is pretty hard to do when buying online, but for a human interface device, that is pretty much the only way.

My 2 year old Asus's may not be as good as current VA's. Or they might be better...

I have an 10+ year old tn that has better color accuracy than most any ips or any display I've owned since. Although black levels are terrible. But I also have had better ips monitors at work that were better than that. It just shows that the exact monitor matters more than anything else. Forget what panel tech the monitor is.

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I'm beginning to understand screen tearing, I may have older HDMI cables, plus the HDMI on my LG TV might not even be a 1.2b let alone a 1.4, so when I OC it to 75hz I'm getting the twitching effect that makes me noxious.
and I still have to find the monitors in store to eyeball them, it's hard here in Wichita KS, but I'm leaning towards a 75hz LG 29UC88 IPS 5ms or the acer xg270hu TN 144hz 1ms, other then these I have no idea which higher end IPS to go for that's under $600, maybe go for broke and get the Asus MG279Q?

why would I choose the Acer vs the Asus MG278Q because if I was to go for a TN panel I would rather pay less.

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Since I play World of Tanks more then anything else, the fastest response time would be more suitable for me.
Before I posted the question I didn't know anything about G-Synk/freesynk etc...., nor all the differences of the 3 main panels.
I'm probably going to get a basic 1440p like this one ASUS PB277Q, unless I find another one with 144hz that doesn't have either G-Synk nor Freesync, since World of Tanks has V-Sync integrated and something like this monitor would be really a starter monitor for me being noob at them.

Thanks!

Size and ratio is really something you need to know what you want. You've used a pc monitor so should understand the implications. For any fast paced game you want higher hz. Response time is for ghosting and pretty much 5ms is all that's needed to not have a ghosting issue. So no, fast response time is not more suitable. I don't know what you mean by vsync integrated. It's just normal vsync like you see everywhere. Having freesync isn't going to affect anything but price. But the pb277q is good for the price and getting something cheaper til you know what you want might be a good idea.

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
World of Tanks has its own version built in the game client, I turn it on and it syncs with the max refresh rate of the monitor, if I don't have the monitor over clocked it will match it to 60 to 63 fps, if I do OC it to max is 75 then the game will run about 75 to 78, I can get $600 dollar Acer with G-sync or wait till it goes on sale.