is aftermarket 1080 ti realy worth the wait?

Hossein taheri

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
hello guys
unfortunately new pc components comes late in my county for example the 1080 ti founders edition will come next 5 days in my county and aftermarkets will come next 30-45 days .
and my question is , is it really worth wait for aftermarkets? I can deal with founders edition heat and fan noise .does founders edition has more possibility to has coil whine than aftermarkets?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the the founders works hot and is very loud

also comes in one color only and honersly, it is not that pretty or functional

so the aftermarket models fills the empty spaces like better cooling and silent operation

the coil whine, that is like a lottery, the better the components are, the less likely you get it, so aftermarket is there for that purpos

but now that you mention the founders is not popular for having coil whine, perhaps the aftermarket will be the same

you say you can live with lots of heat and lots of noise

well, i wouldn't buy a gpu that will overheat and trothle and will let me deaf sooner than later!

From the ability to effectively cool the GPU without throttling, it is worth the wait, if you're pushing the GPU that hard. ( a GTX-1080ti is way overkill for 1080p use, where a GTX-1070 is still more than capable. the 1080ti shines best in 1440p 144Hz+ and 4K) I can't really say anything about coil whine as that lies with the manufacturer (NVidia's board partners) than it does with the GPU itself. It also can depend on the batch of coils, especially cheaper coils, where the chances are higher than more expensive coils (and thus, more expensive graphics cards)

I have two 1080 ti founder's edition and they run very hot. I am running SLI, so I wanted a blower style card. I have 1 slot gap between the two cards and the top card hovers around 83 - 84C at 100% fan speed with no overclock. But they are designed to hit there thermal wall and throttle back to get as much performance as possible.

The after market cards cooling are better allowing you to get more from your card before the thermals increase. I plan on adding the hybrid coolers for my cards, but EVGA is currently sold out. The data that I have seen shows the cards at max load running around 60 - 70C at max load and a good overclock and is virtually silent.

Since the Founder's Edition are cheaper this time around, you could just go pick one up and see how it works on your rig. If it runs hotter than you like then you can add the hybrid cooler later and you will get much better performance than any of the aftermarket air cooled cards.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the overheat does not happen in terms of overheat and die, overheat and then trothle is what we are thinking

when this happens the turbine of the founders edition gpu will try to take off from your pc but fail :D

No, it wont overheat and die. The GPU throttles back as the thermals increase. And yes, when I fired them up the first time I was not sure if it was a computer or an aircraft carrier. But I game with a bose surround sound system, so I cant hear the fans crank up anyway. With that being said, I'd rather it sound like a submarine so I'd suggest putting it under water and see a decent performance increase with a good overclock. This will sustain your clock speeds and close the gap on minimum frames.

Hossein taheri

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

Any coil whine?