Can't Install Windows 10 Creator's 1703 Upgrade Error 0xc0000017 [SOLVED]

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Original title: Is Windows Creator's Update Worth it for Gaming? Clean Install / Format / or simple Update?
*Changed topic name after issues with installing Windows 10 on 1 machine.*
Hey,
I just got a message on my secondary work pc: "We’re preparing a new update for your machine – Windows 10 Creators Update..."
Didn't get it on my main gaming pc yet. To be honest I never heard about this update, and didn't think they will ship a new Windows Update- aka new Windows 10 version - so soon.

I read that it is possible to download and install the update manually, without waiting for Window 10's message to change your privacy and get the update.
I've a few questions:

1. Is this new Creator's version of Windows worth it - for gaming - at the moment? In terms of having the optimal gaming performance with minimal OS background slowdown, and most stable bug free experience possible.
Should I go for it an install it now manually?
2. If yes -then should I install it cleanly by making a USB Windows 10 installation or should I just use the standard Update/Upgrade process?
3. If I do use the update process - do I keep all the games installed and date - or what? Does it give you an option for clean install?
Just trying to understand if it's a simple Window's Update - or a brand new version that requires installing everything from scratch - cleanly. Considering MS might release these stuff every year- doing a format or clean install (uninstalling all games in the process etc..) sounds very tedious and excessive.
4. I read the new Creator's version has a new feature called Game Mode - is it any good when playing games in STEAM or GOG? What does it do?

Thanks

it wouldn't require you to install everything from scratch and windows 10 will eventually apply the update you your computer(s) anyway. it has a gaming mode where its supposed to turn some services and apps off but a simple search on google will let you know the full details of gaming mode.

1. Worth it for me as I was having issues with windows store app updates

2. Entirely your choice mate , do you want to keep all your programs/games/apps ?? If so just do the inline update.
3. See above , upgrade option will keep everything automatically , using the media create tool will give you the option to keep stuff or not.
Is it a brand new version ?? Sort of , it's a 4gb download & a 12gb install , makes a window sold folder etc which can be deleted afterwards.
It shows as a clean new version if you check windows updates (you will see no updates installed at all) - you'll also get around 8-10gb hard drive space back because of this once you remove the old windows files.
4. Had a play with it , looks handy etc but I'm not seeing any performance difference to be honest (although when I game I rarely have anything
else running apart from windows background tasks & anti virus)
It supposedly makes the game higher priority & everything else lower priority - it also remembers what you've set as a game so will prioritise that next time you run it.
Also has game clip/photo /dvr recording facility but you're honestly more likely to use the amd/nvidia apps for that.

4) Game mode is primarily meant for people with low end computers and functions to smooth out FPS averages. For people with stronger machines it does little to nothing. At most it results in a 5% improvement but usually less than that.

It works with any game but really it will be a case by case deal as some games might be running in a way that Microsoft did not anticipate and game mode could do nothing or even interfere with it as a result. They only guarantee that it will always work correctly with newer games running under their UWP framework.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you for your answers guys! Really helpful.
Shame Game Mode isn't a slider you can turn on/off through settings that will automatically "numb" Windows other background apps and prioritize games. That would be great. I never use Windows' Game Bar - seems like the only way to activate Game Mode, isn't it? However if it just a matter of bringing on the Game Bar and applying Game Mode once per game- then it's pretty easy and can't do any harm.

About installing the update..
Let me ask you this way - how did you guys do the update?
Did you just do the auto-update when prompt by Windows (A)? (Which by the way is now nagging me to schedule restart after downloading the update on both systems)
Or did any of you go with a Clean Install of Windows 10 1703 - either by using the MCT "Upgrade Now" (B) - or by creating media USB and boot install+format (C)?
wKlYQ2Q.png

I'm just trying to quickly decide if it's worth the extra hassle of clean-installing Windows and all games and apps. I've done so many times in the past, last time was with the Anniversary Update in June 2016. Want to know how others in the community are approaching this
I've so many other issues and technical stuff to deal with right now (and dealt with them for some time now) related to some new hardware and stuff around the house - so my time is limited. But if a clean install is recommended for optimal gaming/windows performance- then I would go for it.

Ive had issues with cumulative updates not installing on my main gaming system for the last 4 updates so the creators update for me was a boon.

5 systems all running win 10 so I actually downloaded an iso using the media creation tool prior to the forced download/upgrade (its been available for a while) ,extracted it to a usb drive & used that usb drive to update all 5 systems
For the sole purpose of saving 16gb of download time on 5 seperate sytems.
Didnt make bootable media,just straight file copy then plugged in the drive on each system & ran the setup.exe manually.
Kept all documents/users & apps on every system - not a singular issue at all (7tb of installed stuff on my main system so a clean install is not an option for me at all)
Updating from within windows (be it with the upgrade nag or manually like I have ) you will always have the option to keep everything or clean install.
Booting to a boot drive from a cold start it will always be a clean install with no option to keep things.

Do the upgrade mate,keep your stuff,just do a disk cleanup & delete the old windows installation & temp installation files afterwards - youll get a hefty amount of disk space back too.

theyre the only updates showing now mate,so it is close to a new os install at the end of the day.

The game mode - you only need to bring it up once per game with windows+g key ,it will ask you if this is a game,tick the checkbox & windows will remember that next time you run it (you odnt have to use the game bar again for that title unles syou want to change that setting again)
Obviously this has to be done once for every game you own if you want to enable it for each & every one of them.

I actually had stuff messed up with my current install,cumulative updates & windows store apps/games would not update/download.

Upgrade rather than clean install still sorted ALL these issues though.

It isnt the usual update (not even like the anniversary one) - its essentially a completely rewritten os install but with the ability to keep your old stuff.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Ok this is weird, I gave the OK on the prompt to restart my pc and do the update.
My old work pc probably crashed during restart and loaded up, now its refusing to download and install the update using Windows Update.
Going to try the Update Assistent now.
Which isan option offered by Windows Update through a link. Downloading the update now.

My main gaming pc downloaded, restarted, but nothing happened. Version is still 1603 (or something).
So I went for window update again and checked for update it found it and redownloaded it, now it said "The Creators Update is here" and ask me to reatart again - and I confirmed. It's restarting now 16% complete..

EDIT: My Gaming PC finished installing the update and after a few restarts (I guess, I wasn't in the room) - greeted me with an open Edge page saying "Welcome to Creators Update" and see what's new etc.

My old work PC keeps failing to update. Don't know what to do :(
The Update Assistant failed- after a long downloading and installing process- it said something is wrong and kicked me back. Windows Update also fails. Stuck here!
Another long wait, and another fail - Windows brings up the light-blue Recovery Options screen, saying something like 000000007xxx issue and not enough memory to create recovery disk or something. Basically the PC fails or crashes during the restart process of the update.

Any ideas how to fix this? I can't install the latest update and I am stuck in-between.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
OK This is the error I am getting every time it restarts:
6dKixRv.jpg

And if I use the Media Creation Tool and USB - after the error when PC comes up it display error number 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 or 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 can't remember exactly.

It's so bad I think I will just format and clean install windows on this old machine. I think I had this issue before, when I was trying to install Anniversary Update. Not sure. Tried unplugging all my USB devices, except the USB using to install Windows, didn't work either.

Also getting this error now every time I reboot:
0x5CCQO.jpg

and if I press enter:
DGUjfWc.jpg

Tried to boot from USB using BIOS ESC or BIOS boot order- but it won't detect the USB for some reason.

EDIT: changed topic name. Would like to find a fix, other than formatting my entire drive which will be the extreme and time consuming solution. Help will be appreciated.

Edit:
Ok seems like the failed update installed a ghost 2nd (unusable) OS
O08EC02.jpg

Also, when I try to run Memory Diagnostic Tool or mdsched.exe command PC restart and I get this:
http://i.imgur.com/oMCTR3l.jpg
Tried to use USB with Windows 10 Creators Update as a Repair disc and do Startup Repair - it detects something and tries to repair for about 20 minutes then loads the pc up and says it was unable to repair. http://i.imgur.com/eR15NAz.jpg This is so stupid..

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Problem SOLVED! Finally!
Issue was related to error code: 0xc0000017 as seen in the first photo above - after Windows 10 Upgrade restarts automatically for the first time to install and perform the update process.
The source of the issue is RAM memory marked as bad by Windows - which interferes with Windows installer and prevents it from using it as temporary data storage.
I fixed this using CMD as Admin:
Quoting from this guide:

Resolution
1. Boot your computer into Windows.
2. Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
3. Type bcdedit /enum all and press Enter.
4. You'll see a list of all the memory locations that have been deemed 'bad', this list can be cleared.
5. Type bcdedit /deletevalue {badmemory} badmemorylist and press Enter (type this verbatim, {badmemory} is not a placeholder for anything).
6. Close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer.

After these steps, I just installed the update again via USB (Media Creation Tool).
I'm so relived I got this fixed! :D

By the way, this should work with any future update like Creator's, Anniversary etc. Hopefully this helps other people boarding the same boat.

MmJ5WDr.png
No updates available. Version 1703 installed. Good to go!! This old piece of junk gets to live another day. :bounce:

could you give us the specs and make and model of your RAM for future reference. are you mixing and matching ram too?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Yes, it's an old RAM made by OCZ: 4GB 2 sticks:
Type DDR2
Size 4096 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 400.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 24 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

Brittney15

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017

Hey there! I have this same problem but how do you boot into the windows menu? I don't have the messeges at the bottom like u did like f8 for this f12 for that. When I turn it on, it goes to the black screen and what not, which then I can push f12 to go to the boot menu but thats about it I can push enter on the different storage units but nothing will happen, just load the black screen with numbers then right back to the blue screen