Can't install Windows 10/8/7 - "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible." 0xc0000185 Error

phillipreilly707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Hey everyone. So I'm having a MAJOR issue with installing Windows. I'm trying to install a copy of it on a blank, never used before, HDD but I can't even get to the setup screen of the windows installer. The issue starts when I set it to boot. On the Windows 10/8 versions, it just shows the Windows logo solidly for 20 mins before presenting me with an error screen (img below). On the 7 it does the same but with a loading bar.

I'm installing onto a USB that I use to boot. To try and fix things, here is what I have tried:

• Changing the USB
    Redownloading the ISO file
    Using Windows 10 disk utility rather than Rufus
    Changing the Boot settings in the bios
    Trying different operating systems (10, 8, 7)
    Trying different partition methods (GPT, MBR)
    Trying different format options (FAT32, NTFS)

Does anyone have any ideas? Been pulling my hair out about this for frickin ages.

Edit: Forgot computer specs.

• INTEL CORE I5 3570K QUAD CORE 3-4GHz-3-8GHz Turbo 6MB LGA1155-PROCESSOR-CPU
    ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX-960 DC2OC-4GD5 Graphics-Card 4-GB GDDR5 128-bit
    ASUS P8H67-M Revolution-3-0-M-ATX

Ref Images: [img=800x800]http://i.imgur.com/yfKlMiC.jpg[/img]
MpYOeEn.jpg

phillipreilly707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
The problem with this though is it assumes I can gain access to the setup menu. I cannot. It's indicated by step 3 that I should be able to get to the setup menu but I just get this error when trying to boot from the USB.

phillipreilly707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015

Its nothing to do with the HDD I believe. As I can't even reach the setup screen to select it to install to the HDD. The HDD is visible and registered as working in the bios, and I can boot to it. (Not that does anything since its empty.)

Could the GPU even affect a USB's ability to boot a windows installation disc? The hard drive is clean and empty. Its brand new.