Asus anti-surge was triggered / unstable power supply - one simple solution

pc99pc

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Seen many threads here and elsewhere on this. Clearly sometimes the fault is the PSU, sometimes bad BIOS or BIOS loops, sometimes a faulty sensor on the MB, sometimes loose cables....

This has happened to me twice on the same board and each time the fix was the same. Changing the PSU made no difference, nor re-seating all the cables. It was this - I get out my vacuum cleaner and using a gentle brush and lots of suction I suck every bit of dust and dirt that has built up on the CPU fan, the PSU fan, the additional case fan, especially the MB, the ram - everything gets cleaned up. And it works.

So here's my interpretation as a crusty old PC engineer of many years standing - the sensors on the board, like any component, can often be heat sensitive. A layer of dust and dirt on everything is enough to insulate them and inevitably the heat builds up, the sensor triggers and you get a false positive.

This wont be a fix for all - but it's a sure-fire fix for mine. Otherwise I wouldn't be typing this message. Happy computing, and kids.... keep it clean ;-)

Hope this helps some of you.

Ralston18

Titan
Much a believer in keeping the inside case clean, etc., etc.. It does make a difference.

Not so much a believer with respect to using a vacuum cleaner per se. Just too much chance (for me anyway) of bashing components with the nozzle especially if the nozzle gets too close somewhere and then is pushed into something. Or some wire or other component gets drawn in.

Also hear about the risks of a static discharge from the airflows. For the most part that is resolved by leaving the PC plugged in but power off via the PSU switch. And touching the case during the cleaning process.

I favor canned air designed for electronics per the directions on the can. However, that must be done carefully as well.

Will use some cotton swabs to gently wipe surfaces where the dust is sticking.

My compromise is to set up the vacuum cleaner a foot or so away, "downstream" if you will, from the air blasts where the vacuum nozzle will snag runaway dust bunnies, hairs, etc..

TRENDING THREADS