Best choice for display

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
So I don't have the greatest idea for monitors, I currently have a 27in 1080p 60hz hp monitor, paired with my MSI gtx 1070 gaming X, which throws out alot more frames than my monitor can handle. So I am searching for a 144hz monitor, either 1080p or 1440p. The biggest question, is it worth it to spend that extra premium on g-sync? I have read a bit about it and have a basic knowledge of what it is, I just do not know if it is worth that extra premium. If you have any help on whether or not I should get a g-sync monitor, 1440p or 1080p. If you have any recommendations for a monitor, (which at the price point these monitors are it may be a couple months) please throw it out there.

Thanks,
Dragon155

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
G-sync contains a ULMB mode. It allows for the back light to flash with the frame rate eliminating almost all blur. I love it because it keeps everything crystal clear where I can see all the details even when there is motion. It does dim the display a bit but that is easy to fix by turning up the brightness. If you do end up getting a G-Sync monitor, please check to see if it will also support ULMB. I have the Acer Predator XB271HU and it is simply stunning.

Yeah a question I been pondering to, and comes down to money.
IF you have extra cash and want the best BENEFIT, then there is no question you need to get a GSynch monitor. It synchs with the hardware installed inside to the NVidia card to eliminate the issues that plague people's gaming experiances. There is no other real FULL solution a 'normal' 144Hz monitor or such will resolve, there will always be 'somthing' (blurriness, loss of colors, not fluid, screen tearing, lag, etc.). The GSynch system is the actual hardware solution to fix and resolve these issues IF you have the very high cash for it.

Personally the issue I see that the two solutions, which are INCOMPATIBLE are fighting for dominance (like old VHS vs BETAMAX) and eventually only one will survive / someone will make the ingenious solution that bridges the gaps and reduces the high cost. The thing is can you wait that long? 3? 5 years from now? or can be a breakthough tomorrow and you already spent all that money on a GSynch monitor, which is a total waste?

You need to guage for yourself what is the best solution, cost and be ready for the shift when thing eventually change. People didn't believe Intel would get out making PCs, but they just killed THE main event they premier all their PC products at, and the other previous moves (Factory closures, etc.). Change or Die is the name of the game.

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016

So the last question, I have read about freesync a little bit as well. As far as I can tell its very similar to gsync, and It also appears that a monitor with freesync will run with an nvidia card, just without the added effect of freesync itself. Is that correct or will the freesync feature work with an nvidia graphics card.

Thanks

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016

So if I get a free sync monitor it will not do much different than the same monitor without freesync?

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016

So assuming I don't have that extra 200$ to spend on a gsync monitor its worth it to just buy the monitor without freesync or gsync right?

it won't make as much 'difference' as freesync or gsync, as mentioned when you get above 60Hz and trying to make the system pump out at the SAME perfect SYNC of FPS (60FPs for a 60Hz monitor so no dubbing of 'missing' Frames NOR dropping frames -aka tearing- from over sending too many frames) which is what V Sync tried hard to do. But again there is limitations and it has hit those.