Second VGA monitor detected but not working in Windows 10

Andrea_56

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Hi guys,

I have an HP ProBook 4540s (i5 version) with Windows 10 and I have problems connecting my VGA Monitor to it.
I have to say that I previously had the same HP ProBook 4540s (i3 version) with Windows 7, and the exact same monitor worked on that the day before upgrading to i5, so I'm confident it's not a monitor's fault.

Here's what I tried, each time with two monitors and duplicate/extended settings on lowest resolution possible:

Removed old Intel HD 4000 drivers entirely, installed version 10.18.10.4425
Removed new Intel HD 4000 drivers, download the ones from HP for Win10 Xx64, still not working (version was 9.x)

Rebooted without monitor plugged in, and plugged it in while already logged into my account.
Rebooted with monitor plugged in, still not working.

Some specs that may be useful:

I use a VGA cable (I have also tried another VGA cable, they both didn't work) to connect my laptop to the secondary monitor.
The secondary monitor is an Asus VW221D, I have also tried another monitor (an LG but I can't remember the model) and still no success.
The monitor IS DETECTED but IS NOT WORKING, saying it has no signal and has a yellow LED lit.

I seriously need my 2nd monitor as it really boosts my productivity at work.

Please help!

Solution
I have managed to try connecting the 2nd monitor through an HDMI port, and it's working.

So now we also know that HDMI output works, while VGA doesn't. Does it help anyone?

Andrea_56

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

I have tried extended monitor, duplicate, monitor 2 only and monitor 1 only.

I have also tried pressing FN + F4 to extend screen but still to no avail.

Thanks for your support, if you have any other suggestion I'll be happy to try.

If you want some more direct messaging,

Andrea_56

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I have managed to try connecting the 2nd monitor through an HDMI port, and it's working.

So now we also know that HDMI output works, while VGA doesn't. Does it help anyone?

Solution