Windows 10 just started crashing on april 23, 2017. Included pic of reliability monitor

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
http://imgur.com/a/NOxXs

My PC has been rock solid for several months and then a few days ago, I started crashing after roughly 40 minutes of playing diablo 3. I have been running core temp and my temps never go above 55 degrees C. I have been running MSI after burner and my GPU temp does not go above 65 degrees C. As you can see in the pic, it all started on April 23. Like clockwork, after about 40 minutes of gaming, my PC crashes to a black screen with crazy buzzing audio. All I can see in the reliability monitor is the product updater has stopped working. I have no idea what this is or how to turn it off.

Solution
its part of windows update

can you search cortana for command prompt. right click the choice and choose run as admin
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
its part of windows update

can you search cortana for command prompt. right click the choice and choose run as admin
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
what does it show if you click view technical details next to the 2 times windows crashed? if its anything like mine it just says The previous shutdown at time on date was unexpected - not overly informative

zkTwiMe.png

if it all started on 23rd, can you highlight graph for that day?

sure, after work is fine :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
i might be wrong about product updater so run an AV scan and malwarebytes when you get home. It seems to match up with application failures and not windows - I would think it show in lower layer of the reliability monitor if it was a windows app. It might be part of Freemake video downloader, as it seems to come along in package.

see here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-product-updater-system-service

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I ran everything you suggested except for the product updater removal at bleepingcomputer.com. If I still have an issue I will give that a shot. SFC /scannow did not find any issues but malwarebytes found 1643 problems that it quarantined. I am running Norton Internet security as well as windows defender.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have Norton and it includes a firewall, you don't really need to run windows defender as well, as they both do the same things. PC might be a little faster without two AV running. Sounds like neither of them block malware very well. A lot of that is probably advertising anyway. I run bitdefnder total security and ublock origin on all my browsers, last scan I ran found nothing at all last week. I probably have too much protection but never had a virus so don't see need to change.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
By the sounds of it, norton isn't doing a very good job. I did try to disable bit defender but I was unable to find the option to turn it off, though I didn't look very hard. I will update this thread this evening or worst case on Monday since I am going to visit family on the weekend. I will choose one of your answers as the best solution .

Thanks!