Can not install old game (DirectX 7.0) on Windows 10

Hi Toms,

I am not surpised with this but i decided to try and play again Red Alert 2. I have the original copy of this masterpiece, along with an expansion pack. Problem is that the installation does not run. Either through the autorun install, or through exploring the files and running setup, it simply does not do anything. I tried compatibility troubleshooting to all of the proposed operating systems. (it goes back up to Windows XP). All of the Cds are in excellenent condition and the official supported OS are Windows 97, 98, NT and Millenium ! As i said Dx version goes back to 7.
Would be great if someone knows how to tackle this.

Solution
the iso will not help, you need the cd during the install and after it ends to run the game, the iso would be just a workaround to install the cd, but later won't work

surely has anticopy technologies os it will keep saying insert original cd

i was doing a search to run it on windows 8 and 10 and found some but can't post them here, i have some network restrictions here, so is doable, you just need to search for c&c red aler win10 install to see what stepes others taken to make it work

btw, are you sure your dvd drive is working?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
you could force the setup on the cd to work in compatibility mode or install a virtual machine to run the game

about the supported os, why do you mention them? you are running win 10, and the game is around 15 years old, of course is not listed

I am mentioning them because someone might know anything of what is missing for the setup after Windows Millenium. As far as i know, the game was running with Windows Vista as well
P.S. As i said i ve tried forcing compatibility. Maybe i ll try making an ISO

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the iso will not help, you need the cd during the install and after it ends to run the game, the iso would be just a workaround to install the cd, but later won't work

surely has anticopy technologies os it will keep saying insert original cd

i was doing a search to run it on windows 8 and 10 and found some but can't post them here, i have some network restrictions here, so is doable, you just need to search for c&c red aler win10 install to see what stepes others taken to make it work

btw, are you sure your dvd drive is working?

Solution

Thanks but it seems that this fix applies after the installation, just to run the game. Problem is i can't get the game to be installed at all.

I just need to install the game, i am at the step where i cannot even run the setup.exe, so i ll try to make an image on my drive and see if it works. Yeah i had found a fix too, claiming you have to manually run commands to disable several Windows security services which i would tend to avoid messing with for the time being
P.S. My DVD drive is operational 100%

This is for Red Alert 1. Not 2. But says something helpful, that there is a new installer.exe so maybe i ll search around for a similar installer for Red Alert 2

That's just SafeDisc DRM.

Shortly after the release of Windows 10, Microsoft announced that games with SafeDisc DRM will not run on its new operating system. Citing security concerns over the software due to the way in which it becomes "deeply embedded" in the system, Microsoft said "That’s where Windows 10 says, 'Sorry'." Supporting SafeDisc could have been a possible loophole for computer viruses to exploit.

There you go. This is the point where i reached, and the only solution was to disable manually some Windows services that i am not willing to do actually. Sorry they say really? haha. I ll try to burn the disc to an image hoping it bypasses any security barriers and come back again. Thanks for the info

Mar 13, 2018

Did you install RA2 on windows 10. If yes kindly guide as I am having the same issue.

Mar 13, 2018

Did you install RA2 on windows 10? If yes kindly guide as I am having the same issue.

Mar 13, 2018

Did you install RA2 on windows 10? If yes kindly guide as I am having the same issue.

Mar 13, 2018