Lower res for Higher Refresh rate

Dragonarmy

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
I have a ROG PG27AQ, it is a 4k monitor that runs at 60Hz, lets say I lower the resolution to 2k (3440x1440), will I be able to raise my refresh rate to over 100Hz?

Solution
Other:
I believe that GSYNC only works via the DP cable, not HDMI.

One option that MAY work well is to set an OC profile in NCP to 70Hz at 4K, but then in NCP set a "GLOBAL FPS CAP" to 60FPS. That should cap most programs/games to 60FPS but with the upper end at 70Hz when it hits 60FPS it should stay in asynchronous mode, and as a GLOBAL CAP you don't have to fiddle around with every game (except to optimize the FPS vs quality which I'd say average is about 50FPS so it swings up to 60FPS and below a bit as well).

I can't TEST this myself though.

Another option is to set a global FPS cap of maybe 55FPS. You can experiment to see if that keeps you in asynchronous mode as it should be relatively lag-free and have no screen tearing when...
1) No. The maximum refresh rate is set (you can overclock slightly on some monitors but it's not recommended).

2) FYI, 3440x1440 is not the same ratio nor is it a 2K resolution. "2K" is a normal 1920x1080. It refers to the number of vertical lines (about 2000).

Update:
I noticed that's a GSYNC monitor. If you have an NVidia GPU and play games, then you might want to experiment with setting an FPS cap otherwise when you hit 60FPS you revert to VSYNC OFF or VSYNC ON (what you set) but not GSYNC. Not sure what the highest is (somewhere between 50FPS and 60FPS).

So you might lose a couple FPS but it should give a better gaming experience. For example, if you use NVInspector to cap a game to 55FPS, maybe you run the game at 2560x1440 (scaled to fit screen by ASPECT) then play with game settings so your average is maybe around 50FPS (ideal balance between game quality and FPS).

I know this is likely confusing.

Ditto to the above, and NO, this does not mean you can get 100Hz, it is not specced for that unless you manually overclock your monitor at your own risk which can result in fatal errors and warranty void.
On top of that you'd probably only get 10Hz more before severe instability kicks in.
That's not how monitors work.

Other:
I believe that GSYNC only works via the DP cable, not HDMI.

One option that MAY work well is to set an OC profile in NCP to 70Hz at 4K, but then in NCP set a "GLOBAL FPS CAP" to 60FPS. That should cap most programs/games to 60FPS but with the upper end at 70Hz when it hits 60FPS it should stay in asynchronous mode, and as a GLOBAL CAP you don't have to fiddle around with every game (except to optimize the FPS vs quality which I'd say average is about 50FPS so it swings up to 60FPS and below a bit as well).

I can't TEST this myself though.

Another option is to set a global FPS cap of maybe 55FPS. You can experiment to see if that keeps you in asynchronous mode as it should be relatively lag-free and have no screen tearing when a game is locked at 55FPS.

Solution