My PC shuts down radomly and will not allow me to reset it

matt_penick

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
So a while back my PC (see parts below) began to shut down randomly. I could not attribute this to anything, but I noticed a lot of dust on one of my sticks of RAM. I moved the RAM, and the computer worked fine for a bit. Same thing began happening, and I tried removing each stick of RAM separately. It began to run aright. One of them, I concluded, was corrupted. I threw this stick of RAM in a bin, and forgot about it. The computer started to have worse issues than ever shortly after this. It was significantly slower (although I don't attribute this to RAM loss, and even without a single program open it seemed under high load) and shut down more frequently than ever. This has been the case for months. Today I finally decided I was done being relegated to my laptop, and I went to reset the whole system. Each time I have tried this I have gotten the same error: "Something went wrong and we could not reset your PC, all changes have been undone." at around 30%. How should I go about addressing the myriad of problems with this computer.

PC Specs: AMD FX-6300 CPU, GTX 750 ti GPU, Western Digital Blue 1tb HDD, Asus M5A78L-M motherboard

Solution
Hello matt_penick

If your RAM sticks were dusty, the chances are that the CPU fan would be dusty too. Cleaning it might increase the system performance.

If that doesn't help, you can try Booting In Safe Mode or Starting In Command Prompt Externally (as needed) and Running the SFC /SCANNOW Command from there to check and automatically fix the issues.

Note: To run the SFC /SCANNOW command after booting in Command Prompt externally, you must use the /offbootdir=d:\ and /offwindir=d:\windows switches.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!! :)
Hello matt_penick

If your RAM sticks were dusty, the chances are that the CPU fan would be dusty too. Cleaning it might increase the system performance.

If that doesn't help, you can try Booting In Safe Mode or Starting In Command Prompt Externally (as needed) and Running the SFC /SCANNOW Command from there to check and automatically fix the issues.

Note: To run the SFC /SCANNOW command after booting in Command Prompt externally, you must use the /offbootdir=d:\ and /offwindir=d:\windows switches.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!! :)

Solution

matt_penick

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

It will literally just completely shut down. From watching youtube, to playing Rocket League, it's like it is being unplugged. Just completely off. Then I hit the power button, and it boots right back up without issue.