asus rog swift pg348q or wait? (along with some other questions)

smurfORnot

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hello guys!

Well, after having some more disposable inconome, I am thinking about upgrading my setup.

I am kinda set up on ultra wide monitor, in that regards there are not really too many choiches if you do wanna game on it. Basicly it's either asus rog swift pg348q or x34. They do go to 100Hz. Well, my dilemma is should I maybe wait till they release something up to 144Hz? I was even thinking on 4k, but rign now they go to 60Hz, which is not that great since I plan to game on it. And I am not sure are there any plans for 4k ultra wide 100+ Hz, but to power that on higher fps I would probably want something like 2x 1080/ti, which is too much atm...

My CPU is 3570k on MSI Z77A-GD65(good mb for OC), it's not OCed right now since I have r9 280x and ocz mod extreme pro 500w, so I don't wanna push it too far. Changing my mobo/cpu and ram is not an option right now, since 3570k is still quite good, right(and all that would cost fair bit of Money)? I just plan to OC it, and for that I might need new PSU, although, new GPUs drains less power than r9 280x, so I might not even need that? Not sure if it's Worth the risk keeping this one(around 4 years old )?

Since getting 2k/4k means upgrading my r9 280x. I mean I might buy another one used for 100e for SLI, but I don't think that would give me higher fps on 34'' ultra wide? And buying 2x r9 290x is not tha efficient too when I can get 1080 for around 150e more, but if I am going for 1080, might as well go for 1080ti for around 140e more. But concerning GPU, I am waiting on VEGA, to see how it reflects on 1080/ti prices and compares performance wise.

But then, there is dilemma, if VEGA turns out to be my choiche, I am paying for Gsync on asus rog swift pg348q for nothing, and that adds 100-200e on monitor price...

So then I might wait even more in hope that Samsung or someone comes out with theyr own freesince 34'' ultra wide 100+ Hz monitor, which I don't know if they will in near future?

Since all this costs fair bit of money, I don't plan to change it any time soon. Thus, I want to get best thing possible for my $, and not be in situation in few months, oh boy, I wish I had waited,lol

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Solution
only in more demanding games like gta v or arma 3 will ur i5 show its age. u should be good with other titles. but its advisable to swith to ryzen 1600[my preference] or 7700k. the cpu/mobo/ram upgrade can be had for 500 bucks in case of ryzen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($217.55 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $476.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-28 15:23 EDT-0400
hey smurf, for gaming on a uwqhd panel you will need a better graphics card.

for overclock you need q aulity powersupply, what have u got now?

about the panel , tis defenetly worth getting, also i prefer asus above the acer because i know asus doesnt slack on quality unlike some acer products.

smurfORnot

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi

Yea, I Know that for gaming I need better graphics, that's why I am waiting on VEGA to see how that plays out. So it will be probably VEGA with a bit of luck. I also saw that ASUS mx34vq costs quite a bit cheaper than rog, probably also because of free sync. So if I decide for VEGA, I am strongly considering ASUS mx34vq and saving around 400euro!

My PSU is ocz mod extreme pro 500w - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-modxstream-pro-500-w-power-supply-review/

If VEGA fails, then G sync it is, so probably rog, although there is some good(but also bad) talks about AOC Agon AG352UCG. Price is around same as ROG's.

go for the x34 predator. acer monitors, especially the predator series r good in quality n performance.
and if u can wait, the 1080ti prices may drop. IMO, i dont think the vega would be as power efficient as the gtx 10 series. but thats me.

or u can postpone ur purchase till vega comes out. acer released new 4k predator monitors. who knows? free sync 4k models can show up too...
and since its amd, u can upgarde ur monitor gpu n psu for the same price point ;)

hey smurf,

patience pays off, however keep in mind that new technology will release every single time.
I mean with that you can keep waiting and waiting.

You should upgrade your psu no matter what, even because its working fine now , the psu is low quality and it can harm your components before you know it(prevention is better than cureing).

smurfORnot

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi

Thanks.
I will just wait then till VEGA before deciding. Btw. Since I will be basically getting top of the line GPU with 'top of the line' monitor with 100Hz, will 3570k OC be able to keep up? I mean, there is kinda little point in having 100Hz monitor, if my i5 gets me low fps so I won't be able to utilize it....

only in more demanding games like gta v or arma 3 will ur i5 show its age. u should be good with other titles. but its advisable to swith to ryzen 1600[my preference] or 7700k. the cpu/mobo/ram upgrade can be had for 500 bucks in case of ryzen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($217.55 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $476.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-28 15:23 EDT-0400

Solution