i7 4790 or r5 1600 quick question

Hey peeps,

Quick question, ive been searching for benchmarks between Haswell and Ryzen 5 cpus.

Im currently owning an i7 4790, how does the r5 stacks up against it? single core wise if you OC the r5 1600 to 3.8ghz for example.

Im happy with my i7 and wont upgrade but just wondering.

In productivity workloads clock for clock (single threaded) the Ryzen architecture is roughly equal to a Broadwell in terms of IPC. Haswell IPC (which is your i7 4790) is pretty much equal to Broadwell - because Broadwell is primarily just a die shrink of Haswell.
So again - if we're talking productivity - core for core and clock for clock any current Ryzen CPU and i7 4790 are going to be very similar.

Gaming seems to be a different beast. There's still a bunch of speculation as to what's going on, but overall, Ryzen's IPC is not as good in games. So that would still make your i7 4790 slightly better as a gaming CPU core for core and clock for clock.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Not really, it's not. It's between Ivy Bridge and Haswell on average.

getgraphimg.php

Again, you're wrong. Broadwell is 3.3% better than Haswell clock for clock, on average.

Generation%20IPC_575px.png

As for gaming, here's a link to a review that takes a look at Ryzen 7 and compares it to a heap of Intel CPUs, including the i7-4790K.

Wow mate... pedantic much? Depends on the workloads. I said "roughly equal" which those benchmarks you list basically support. Yep - the odd benchmark here and there clearly makes Ryzen look worse, but over a broad suite IPC is similar. You say Haswell, I say Broadwell, in the end the difference is a few %, which is greater than the variance between difference workloads... thus "roughly equal".

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Ryzen is around 10% slower than Broadwell in computing, take or give a few percentages. That's a sizable difference, and that's actually between Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Gaming performance is even worse than that for some reason. Perhaps it's because of Ryzen's latency. We don't really know.

getgraphimg.php

20% difference, but I think the person who did the gaming benchmarks went with a pretty low resolution, which shows a bigger gap than what it usually is. Cause look at this review here. Doesn't show the difference we see in that benchmark. Maybe they used lower settings or something. Keep in mind the CPUs were at stock, so the 1800X has a clock-speed advantage over the 6900K.

I'm not even going to bother continuing this conversation if you're going to keep nagging over this insignificant stuff, both of you stop right now and get back to the conversation at hand, don't turn this thread into something unrelated.