GPU for an older computer

techtte

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a desktop computer back home (now I'm at uni) which I built back in 2011. I didn't quite get the performance I wanted when I played through some games in the last couple of years and I was thinking about getting just a new GPU to speed things up; not sure if it's worth it.

These are my specs:

i7 2600k - 4 cores/8 threads, 3.4-3.8Ghz, 8Mb cache; this is a Sandy Bridge
Asus Maximus 4 Gene-Z - it has 16x PCI express 2.0
650W Corsair HX - it should support any single GPU build
16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD

I am not biased towards AMD or nVIDIA, but AMD seems to me to have better options for low-mid range cards. If I had a lot of money I would get a 1080Ti + new everything, but I'm going to have to ask my parents for funding this time and I don't want to burden them. So I'm looking for the option that makes the most sense.

What do you guys think? Also I don't have plans for making a new desktop build, at least not in the near future.

edit: I am currently using a 60Hz 1080p monitor, but this might change soon.

Whats your current gpu?
Also if you have trouble in cpu intensive games you can just oc that i7 to 4.5ghz no problem.

techtte

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I didn't want to say what my current GPU is, so you can just give me a fresh suggestion rather than a comparison. I have the nVidia 560Ti at 1GB memory.

mwryder55

Distinguished
I upgraded my 2600K computer last year to the new GTX 1060 6 GB and it made a huge difference in the games that I play. The only problem I had with it was that my older power supply could not power it correctly under load and it would black screen. Replacing it with a new 650W power supply fixed all the problems.

AN rx480/580 or gtx 1060 6gb are a great upgrade and will run all the latest games at high.

techtte

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I was thinking RX480 as well. Would you say it's worth it going for better brands at this price range? I would normally get EVGA or Asus.

Just get the cheapest of the 3 cards I listed. Any brand is good except for the really unknown ones. No need to pay more