Service Host: Local System (19) Using 35% CPU (Windows 10)

FreeWayPineapple

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
My CPU is constantly at 35% usage due to a windows process called Service Host: Local System (19). I am not sure how to fix the high CPU usage.

I figured it was just my PC preparing to update, but I have no updates available. At this point, I really don't know what to do.

Edit: I just realized that the (19) means that there are 19 sub processes, but I can't figure out which one is causing the strain on the CPU.

Solution
Which version of win 10 are you on?

I ask as they broke the service hosts up in the creators edition so while there might be 19 in the one you have, I have 19 separate with local system in their name and it would be much easier to work out which one is at fault. There are some still in groups but most I have is 4 under a service host

there might be an update your PC doesn't know about. Go to this page and click upgrade now. that will download the upgrade assistant. Run it and it should upgrade win 10 to latest version. Suddenly your service host total was go from about 16 to around 70 but the only real difference is they aren't grouped as much anymore.

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014
its not happening to you alone, its happening to a lot of windows 10 users right now.. its also happening to me at this moment.. all we can do is wait till microsoft fix this.. i tried different ways to stop but it always comeback eventually..

any old advice on how to get it stop wont work for long

Monkeytronic

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017

I had the same problem and through trial and error found that the issue is either with the User Profile Service, or User Manager. In any case, when I went to Start -> Computer Manager -> Services and Applications -> Services and restarted the User Profile Service, the problem fixed itself. The first time I did it, the problem only went away for a minute or two. The second time, my computer's been working okay for 10 minutes or so. Hopefully Microsoft gets itself together and fixes the underlying issue pronto.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Which version of win 10 are you on?

I ask as they broke the service hosts up in the creators edition so while there might be 19 in the one you have, I have 19 separate with local system in their name and it would be much easier to work out which one is at fault. There are some still in groups but most I have is 4 under a service host

there might be an update your PC doesn't know about. Go to this page and click upgrade now. that will download the upgrade assistant. Run it and it should upgrade win 10 to latest version. Suddenly your service host total was go from about 16 to around 70 but the only real difference is they aren't grouped as much anymore.

Solution

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014

i've download the update assistant, i'll let you know what's the difference in performance.

P.S: i really was behind in windows version

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014

i did the update. and they really broke the service hosts up.. but i will get back after more use of this windows 10 update..