Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

ExpertAmateur

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
What are the steps for upgrading a PC with windows 7 on it to Windows 10 OEM using a USB drive?

Thanks so much! Will it erase everything on the computer?

Solution
download windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
(note: you can also click "update now" to download a tool that will basically install windows 10 automatically, with no need of pendrives or a disc.) scroll down and click "download tool now". that tool will download windows 10 and put it inside a USB drive automatically.
after that, you just need to follow the on-screen steps. after the tool is done doing it's work, just reboot the computer (leaving the pendrive plugged), click F12 to choose a startup disk (if nothing happens click F2 and go to boot section, change the order. Or just activate the F12 function) and choose the pendrive. Windows 10 installation will start. just follow the...

ExpertAmateur

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ExpertAmateur : "Upgrading Windows 7 PC to Windows 10"

What are the steps for upgrading a PC with windows 7 on it to Windows 10 OEM using a USB drive?

Thanks so much! Will it erase everything on the computer?

FixxeS

Commendable
May 23, 2016
download windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
(note: you can also click "update now" to download a tool that will basically install windows 10 automatically, with no need of pendrives or a disc.) scroll down and click "download tool now". that tool will download windows 10 and put it inside a USB drive automatically.
after that, you just need to follow the on-screen steps. after the tool is done doing it's work, just reboot the computer (leaving the pendrive plugged), click F12 to choose a startup disk (if nothing happens click F2 and go to boot section, change the order. Or just activate the F12 function) and choose the pendrive. Windows 10 installation will start. just follow the on-screen steps.

you can either keep your stuff or remove it. I would suggest removing everything to be 100% sure windows 10 will run well, also because windows creates a folder on C: drive called "windows.old" which is nothing more than, in your case, everything you had on windows 7, but sometimes it fails, I mean, some stuff you might have on your user folder may not be on that windows.old folder, so backup what you need.

if you have any other question, ask, here to help.

Solution

FixxeS

Commendable
May 23, 2016

it depends if you are ellegible for upgrading to windows 10 legally for free or not.
once windows 10 was free for everybody, after that some people are ellegible to get it free, others are not. try it.
I would recommend you to use the tool that comes when you click "update now"... if you are ellegible, it will update and activate windows automatically. when you sign in into a MS account, that "serial number" they used to activate windows 10 get's linked with your account, so, when you format the computer again, barely you login into your MS account using windows 10 it will activate automatically.
using the USB method, I am not sure, but I think it will ask you for a product key, despite you can just click on "I don't have a product key", at the bottom of the window and the installation will continue. don't forget to save your windows 7 product key, I don't know if it will work on windows 10, try it if it asks for product key.

FixxeS

Commendable
May 23, 2016

that was the rule last year, when I upgraded. now it may be different, maybe not. I think the best option for you is to use the tool that upgrades windows without usb. it's better, if it's not possible to upgrade, it will tell you. using the USB method it won't tell you anything. besides, using the USb method, it will give you 2 options if I am not wrong. one is to upgrade to windows 10, the other is to remove all and install windows 10. if you choose upgrade, if will tell you to restart the computer and use the tool I am refering, the one called "updated now" on MS website... so try it first, you don't need anything, that tool will just copy the files to your harddrive, restart the computer and start upgrading. imagine that tool as a virtual pendrive...
try that tool first, if it fails or something than use the USB method.
and be sure to save that license key from windows 7, if some problem ocurrs, like windows 10 not activating and becoming a trial version, you can downgrade. there's an option on windows 10 to downgrade to previous versions of windows, you may need it if you run into this or another problem.