Can I remove my HDD for fresh install on SSD, put back in and keep files on HDD?

djbanana81

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I have an SSD and want to put Win10 onto it and not on my current HDD. Would I be able to setup a USB drive for the install of Win10, with the HDD removed, install the OS onto the SSD and then put the HDD back into the PC and use the files I have on it like before? And would this mean having the USB only put the OS and no files onto the SSD?

Solution

With qualifications, yes.
Actually, this is the preferred way to do a fresh install...have only the target drive (in this case the SSD) connected.

I say 'qualification', because what currently lives on the HDD is oK, except for any applications on it.
Those would have to be reinstalled.
Files such as doc/music/video...all OK.

USAFRet

Titan

With qualifications, yes.
Actually, this is the preferred way to do a fresh install...have only the target drive (in this case the SSD) connected.

I say 'qualification', because what currently lives on the HDD is oK, except for any applications on it.
Those would have to be reinstalled.
Files such as doc/music/video...all OK.

Solution

djbanana81

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

And by applications you mean things such as browsers games and steam, discord etc?

Sorry to be so bad at this but, when selecting what to keep for the fresh install, do i select nothing as the files are on my HDD? Thanks

A fresh install is just that; Nothing is kept on the target drive/partition and only the operating system is installed.

djbanana81

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

Ok thank you for clarifying

USAFRet

Titan

For a fresh install on a blank SSD, when the only drive connected is the SSD (as it should be), there is nothing to 'keep'.
There will be no selection for this.

djbanana81

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

Yeah sorry I just confused looking at this site and wanted to check as I want to do this right