clone os to bootable usb device

urpointis

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I hate asking for help, but I have already put quite a bit of mental energy into this, and my brain is exhausted. I appreciate the help in advance.

Side note: both disks are GPT and EFI.

so I have discovered I can install windows to my external wd book. I wanted to take it one step further and install my current os to it to be bootable.

so I made my installed os into an img, converted it into an iso and then loaded it to a usb through rufus.

My problem is, when booting form my external it would then load into the original os. I assumed its because the boot info is pointing to it. I tried adding it via bcdboot g:, but that isn't working either, and it stopped booting to my original os and failed to boot at all.

what do I need to do to be able to boot to both the external and the internal os? bcdedit?

urpointis

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Because i booted into it successfully with a fresh install of windows.

USAFRet

Titan

OK.

So this...
"so I made my installed os into an img, converted it into an iso and then loaded it to a usb through rufus. "

That does not work.

Possibly Macrium Reflect can clone your existing OS into a USB HDD. Possibly.
Try it...see what happens.

Hello... Basically you have 'Copied" the OS to the external... The 'typical OS models" are coded to not Run from a external drive... as this would reduce possible income to the corporation... there are "lite, basic, CE" versions that will allow "portable' use.

urpointis

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

I booted into a glitch safemode through it, so I know it reads it, and I can access it. I took the original system, and then turn it into an iso, I then used rufus to create a bootbale usb out of it with the iso of my current os used as the source

the problem was I would boot into it and it would look at the boot info on the usb and it would point back to my original os, which isn't what I want it to do.

urpointis

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

using the rufus utility it creates a bootable usb device with a working os.

using that knowledge. I made an img of my existing os via DataNumen Disk Image, I then used osf mount to mount the image and save it as an iso, in which I replaced the windows installation iso in rufus with the iso of my preexisting one.

2-because I believe something is loose in my laptop, when I move it theres a high chance it will freeze, I know the ssd is corrupt beyond repair. I tried to open it to look at it myself but the screws are too dam tight I couldn't even replace the ssd if I wanted to. and for fear of stripping them I have decided to pay sum1 to mess it up for me. this external usb is just a temporary thing, but I don't know when I will get around to actually droppin git off in a repair shop. and if I don't I want to know I can still use my laptop with the external.

USAFRet

Titan
1. So we do not know if this OS install on the external actually works, because...
2....the laptop itself is broken, and you're assuming running from an external HDD will work?

You're trying too many weird things at once.

Is the external boot fail due to being on an external, or due to the laptop being broken.
No one knows.

urpointis

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

1-external fresh os boot worked, successfully, no issues.
2-i do know it worked, I booted into it, I had a freshly installed windows os on my usb
3-i logged into the safemode on the external
I just want to know what bcdedit or boot settings I need to input to point to the external to see if it would actually boot.

Hello... It is possible they used some thread 'glue" for the some of the screws inside of a portable device... typically heat will allow the thread "glue" to soften... other methods would be brute torque with a "Vise grip" type tool... or drilling them out, if you can... use a magnet and tape adhesive to catch the debris B /

You now have an image/ISO/backup? of your OS and you could possibly Try a "Clean install" of the OS to the drive and see if the drive has just a corrupted file system.