Issues with settings after build 1703 update

Dom_79

Distinguished
Hello Everyone :)

Like many recently, I got the "Creators Update" for Win 10. Just yesterday afternoon actually.

The initial process itself went smoothly enough but after a couple restarts I noticed a few issues that I'm hoping I don't already know the solution to (clean install of windows)

After a "Build Update" like this I realize that certain settings will need to be "reset". I don't necessarily like doing this because I find I have a lot of custom video and audio settings and basically starting from scratch is a hassle - but so be it. It's the price the Windows Gods demand for using their OS.

The problem I have now is that none of these settings are saving. Every time I restart/shutdown start-up I have the "default" settings from right after the update. I know I only mentioned Video and Audio but as I type this I realize that Windows has decided to download (against my metered connection setting restrictions) an US English Language pack and several other system settings have also (while I've been typing) reverted to this "default" setting.

I have only one user (the "Owner/Admin/LocalUser -> which is me) and I have permissions for everything (as normal). The settings (while difficult to find) do seem to "set and save". I hit "Apply" or "Save" where applicable in the video and audio settings but I notice that the OS settings that aren't done through the "old" control panel type interface do not have any type of "action" available. So no "OK", "Cancel", "Apply" buttons.

Anyways, sorry for wall of text. I'm tired and this is one more thing I didn't need to spend my weekend doing ( who does though, right? ;) )

If anyone has any idea on how I can clear up what I can only identify as some problem with Windows background services failing to migrate the "old user" to the new build properly, I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise the only thing I've been able to do to correct this situation (not the first time, not the first "Build Update") is start over with a clean install

Thanks if you managed/bothered to make it this far :D Have a better Sunday than me

Solution
Microsoft discovered people were using metered connections settings to avoid getting updates so now the latest build just ignores those settings for windows updates.

which other settings are reverting?

i haven't used the new settings menus for a lot yet, i have found they all have links to the old ways on the replacement settings page. Hardest thing to find now - without a search - is Control panel itself but its still there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft discovered people were using metered connections settings to avoid getting updates so now the latest build just ignores those settings for windows updates.

which other settings are reverting?

i haven't used the new settings menus for a lot yet, i have found they all have links to the old ways on the replacement settings page. Hardest thing to find now - without a search - is Control panel itself but its still there.

Solution

Dom_79

Distinguished
Thanks for the reply Colif. :) Just want to preface this by saying, I fixed it by doing a fresh install.

The settings that were being reverted were the notification icon (for Defender and the Input type that puts an "ENG" on the taskbar), desktop background (and placement of icons, resolution/orientation), custom "windows" sounds. Also there were a couple more, all related to "personalisation". I don't think there were any important system settings that were being changed and I admit I hadn't gone through all the new settings yet.

Don't know if this counts as a settings or not but windows kept downloading and installing an audio driver ("HD Audio Driver"). Unless I just disabled it, in which case Windows would re-enable it.

May not be what you were asking for but as far as the video and audio settings, anything I changed though Nvidia Control Panel or the Realtek Audio Menu would not be saved after a restart/shutdown.

So thanks again for reading and taking the time to help Colif, it's much appreciated :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
eng is persistent, i used to try to hide it but just gave up as the settings would just ignore me. Its not worth me fresh installing over. I don't use sounds anymore

HD audio manager might just have been relying on an old driver you no longer use.

Good that fresh install fixed it all for you :)

Dom_79

Distinguished
Thanks again Colif I've found how to get around the "ENG" if you are interested, although it may not be applicable to you (or anyone else who wants/needs to try).

If you only use one language pack you can go to Settings -> Time and Language -> Region and Language and uninstall all the language packs but the one your use.

Then before doing a restart (may help to do this right away) go to Settings -> System -> Notifications & Actions -> Add or remove quick action items and make sure that "Input" is either missing or off. If the other Language packs uninstall correctly the option should be missing, if not turning it to off and then a restart should remove it permanently - until windows helps you by installing another language pack ;)

Also for Intel HD Audio Manager... not really interested in why it was not working correctly but I have a sound processor (Realtek) with it's own Driver and software/app suite. Intel's Drivers will attempt to run that device or at the least influence/control it's function. That is an issue because it causes conflicts with the driver of the device that is already running it. See where I'm going with this? ;) :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
that makes sense. i stupidly got the uk English version of win 10 when i installed so had fun converting it to right keyboard and region. think i will leave it alone for now.

I didn't see it was intel sound. i vaguely recall updating that last year and it broke my sound so ran system restore and got my sound back. i too have realtek (think almost every motherboard does by now) but MS never tries to install the intel one.

Dom_79

Distinguished
Per the Realtek Audio issue, I've been looking around. It seems like there was at least a couple known issues with Creators Update and Realtek, 1. limited "Dolby DTS" functions and 2. the Optical out (SPDIF) would be disabled.

I found one article claiming it was/was nearly resolved and another that the fix/patch would be available in the coming months. As you said, almost all motherboard come with Realtek so it's very weird that MS is not making it a higher priority.

Dom_79

Distinguished
True, true :)

The articles/threads I had seen were quoting the MS statement that said MS knew about the issue and what it was and that they would be rolling out the fix in the coming months.

So the fix will definitely be from MS and they've said "months". That's not building confidence in me that they've actually figured out what's wrong, only that they know it's their issue.

Anyhow, it's not like I (or others) have no sound at all and I doubt anyone really buys a motherboard for the on-board audio ;-) So I guess I'll have to look into getting my first sound card since Soundblaster 1.0 in 1990. Made it 27 years without one, I guess MS heard about that :pt1cable:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't use digital audio so didn't notice it stopped the output. Audio on my board is good enough that i don't see need for sound card. I haven't had a sound card since early 2000's, think my 2nd PC may had one, maybe even 3rd- I have it around, i should look at what connections it has on back. Its only in last 12 years or so that onboard been good enough to ignore sound cards. surprised they still exist.

i think with no sound, i would be looking at extreme solutions as well. My speakers died last year and I had new ones within a few days as PC without sound is only good if its by choice. I guess its way past 10 days since you got update or you could roll back to previous build.