power surge(s) on starting/printing laser printer

johnny_canuck

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
Greetings --

I have a Brother HL-2240D monochrome laser printer plugged into an outlet in my office (I suspect its your basic 15 amp, 125 V outlet), grounded Type B plug type. Into another socket on the same outlet, I have a fairly high-end UPS, rated for 750W -- into which I have connected one of my computers. So, the laser printer is *not* connected to the UPS, only the computer is. But, both the UPS and laser printer are plugged into different sockets on the same outlet.

The problem is, whenever I turn on the laser printer, or if on, try to print from it, it pulls so much power that the UPS triggers, and multiple beeps later, the computer plugged into the UPS stops functioning.

Now, I know that laser printers are notorious for pulling significant power during start up (to get the fuser warm), and when printing (this Brother printer is rated 0.9W/65W/495W for sleep/ready/printing -- my guess is >495W if turned on cold). What surprises the heck out of me is that it pulls enough from one socket that it trips the UPS plugged into the other socket. Since I don't have an option of plugging the printer into a different outlet on a different circuit, seems my options are to either (i) ditch the printer, or (iii) see if the outlet itself can be 'tweaked' to isolate one socket from another in some fashion. Is (ii) even technically feasible?

I've read about people having 'lights dim' when they start their laser printers. I could live with that, but actually pulling so much that it trips a UPS on another socket is not something I can live with. As noted, might have to ditch the printer, and go to an inkjet, which pulls basically squat from the outlet on starting up.

Suggestions/comments welcomed.

Ralston18

Titan
Both sockets on the outlet are in the same circuit. I.e., same fuse or breaker.

It would be very dangerous to wire an outlet where each socket is on a different electrical circuit. (And probably an electrical code violation as well.)

All the UPS is doing is reacting to a "loss of power".

About all you can do is to find another electrical circuit for either the printer or the UPS.

Or have an electrician upgrade the current circuit to meet the full requirements.

However, you should take a look at the UPS. If it "triggers" and eventually causes the PC to shut down after some low voltage event then there may be a problem with the UPS. I would expect that once the laser printer is "up" then the UPS should recover on its own.

How old is the UPS and what condition is the battery in? Do you have any manufacturer provided diagnostic tools for the UPS?