Updated windows 10, now stuck in BIOS!

Chrisd3676

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hi there,
I recently updated my Windows 10 and ever since have been stuck in my BIOS, any advice and help would be appreciated! :)
Earlier today I updated my windows 10, pressed update and shut down normally and left it there to update, I came back from work, turned on my laptop and it continued its updates, and when it finished and restarted it brought me to my BIOS.

Ever since I have been stuck, i've checked my hard drive is detected, the boot priority looks fine, but I can't seem to get out of it!
I am using a MSI GE60 2PF Apache Pro Laptop, I'll leave some specs below :)
Laptop Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4810MQ @ 2.80GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 860M
RAM: 8GB DDR3

If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it so much, it's probably something obvious I'm missing!

Solution
first of all, are you plugging in any usb device or blu tooth device on your laptop? you need to remove those. it could really just be the simplest solution. If it doesn't work/or apply to you, read on.

your os was probably installed in the uefi mode and that's why you have the windows load manager instead of something like samsung 850ssd or something in the boot. (legacy bios mode). however, since it is in the uefi mode windows load manager should have booted into the windows. it is almost like you have no uefi boot system in the ssd. So long story short, yes your windows 10 is corrupted. However, why it is corrupted?

Is it because:
1. something overwritten your uefi boot partition on your ssd?
2. your ssd is dead?
3. your...

Chrisd3676

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I have [Hard Disk:Windows Boot Manager], i've set it to boot option 1 but every time i save and exit it brings me back to BIOS :/

Chrisd3676

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Ok, so my exact options in order of BIOS default is
Boot Option #1 : CD/DVD
Boot Option #2 : USB CD/DVD
Boot Option #3 : Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager
Boot Option #4 : USB Hard Disk
Boot Option #5 : Network

Also in my SATA information my hard drives are there but not on top of the list that's listed if that means anything :p

I have tried all of them in boot optiom 1 but problem continues

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
is there an option menu that says hard drive priority in uefi/bios?
how many actual physical ssd/hard drive is in the system?
is your os hard drive/ssd connected via sata cable to sata 0 port on your motherboard?

Chrisd3676

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I have a hard drive priority in uefi, however the only option is the windows boot manager or disable,

I have a 1TB Hdd and a 128gb ssd, no idea if connected by sata cable

My OS was stored on my SSD

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
since you have two storage devices (1 ssd with os and 1 hdd for storage) you should have more then windows boot manager or disable (or at least have more than one instance of windows boot manager) you should have something like 1tb hdd sata 2 or something.

since you have a laptop, can you take out the 1tb hdd and leave only the ssd in the system and see what happens?
this is one option the other being to go with boot devices and leave only windows load manager and the rest disable.
so it looks like
Boot Option #1 : Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager
Boot Option #2 : Disabled
Boot Option #3 : Disabled
Boot Option #4 : Disabled
Boot Option #5 : Disabled
try and boot with this

if this fails, try
Boot Option #1 : USB Hard Disk
Boot Option #2 : Disabled
Boot Option #3 : Disabled
Boot Option #4 : Disabled
Boot Option #5 : Disabled
and try to boot.

edit: it sounds like you have a ssd missing.
are you sure you have ssd and hdd (two storages) or 1 storage, a sshd hybrid?)

Chrisd3676

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I tried both boot options unfortunately, and while I would open it up don't have a screwdriver to do it tonight as not at home.
I am positive it's an SSD, in my sata info I have 4 serial ATA slots, and my cd drive is top of it, followed by empty then my ssd and hdd, is the problem that the cd drive is top of the order maybe?

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
not really. I'm worried why you don't have something like WD1000FXR as a part of hard drive priorities. or something like that in boot order.
for laptops you may need a phillips 1 instead of phillips 2 screwdriver.

Chrisd3676

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I don't understand why my hard drives would have a problem after an update, is it possible windows 10 just got corrupted in some way?
Thank you for all your help so far :)

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
first of all, are you plugging in any usb device or blu tooth device on your laptop? you need to remove those. it could really just be the simplest solution. If it doesn't work/or apply to you, read on.

your os was probably installed in the uefi mode and that's why you have the windows load manager instead of something like samsung 850ssd or something in the boot. (legacy bios mode). however, since it is in the uefi mode windows load manager should have booted into the windows. it is almost like you have no uefi boot system in the ssd. So long story short, yes your windows 10 is corrupted. However, why it is corrupted?

Is it because:
1. something overwritten your uefi boot partition on your ssd?
2. your ssd is dead?
3. your system is somehow searching for boot from the hdd (non os drive) instead?
4. something wrong in the cmos?

solutions
1. reinstall windows. the whole shebang. take out your ssd and hdd from the laptop and somehow get it plugged in to a regular desktop computer to backup your data.
2. replacement of ssd needed, see number 1.
3. take out or just disconnect the hdd from laptop, you may need to remove/disconnect optical drive. So that it eliminate every other bootable item, the laptop would be forced to boot from the os ssd.
4. you need to clear cmos on a laptop somehow. on a desktop you just move some jumpers or remove the cmos battery. I suspect that if you open your laptop you may see a round flat thing. remove it (it is the cmos battery), and wait a couple of hours and put it back.

tl;dr
service is needed, either by MSI if Warranty not expired, or you.

Solution

Chrisd3676

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Just as an update problem resolved, after checking the original box for laptop, my laptop came with a recovery function by pressing F3 the whole time, it troubleshoot the problem and loaded up fine :D thanks so much for your help, it was just the OS after all :)

TRENDING THREADS