Overclocking GPU Core or Mem Clock settings reset at benchmark

Killerwalski

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
I'm trying to overclock my Sapphire Nitro R9 390 for a slight performance bump, and running into a weird issue.

MSI Z170-A PRO
i5 6500 OC'd to 4ghz
Sapphire AMD R9 390

I take a benchmark at stock speeds of 1040/1500, then increased the stock clock 10 mhz. With Sapphire Trixx (I've also tried MSI Afterburner with similar results), ran as administrator. The display flickers a bit and the settings reflect in GPU-Z correctly with the increased speed. As soon as I run my benchmark software, the GPU Clock resets to the default of 1040 Mhz.

Settings applied:
JpUG2Es.png

Settings reverted after benchmark software begins:
0b0IJd2.png

Here's my settings for Trixx:
Z0j1lVP.png

What's going on here? Is something conflicting or preventing my settings from registering?

Sammy Elgendy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
You have to step up the voltage accordingly, some people can get their R90's to up to 1200/1500 stable with proper voltage stepping, you just have to know what you're doing. The system resets the voltage as a safety/failsafe measure IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong please). Try upping the voltage one step at a time for 1050 til you reach your sweet spot.

-Sam

Killerwalski

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
I should also say that I've adjusted the voltage and power limit settings. Still keeps reverting back to default clock speeds.

Sammy Elgendy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I would say try enabling "Save Fan Settings with Profile."
I also should have mentioned earlier that running at +10MHz won't net you even slightly noticeable performance improvement. I would say a good 5-10 FPS increase is maybe +35MHz (correct me if I'm wrong -CMIIW-).

-Sam

Killerwalski

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
I've enabled/disabled that option and my settings still don't seem to stick. Sam, I realize that +10 MHz won't result in a massive performance gain. The point is that ANY changes I make to the stock clock will end up with the clocks reverting back to default, that's why I used a small increment as this example. I'm going to ignore the last part about how much of an FPS increase you get per increase in clock speed, because it's very inaccurate.

Sammy Elgendy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Have you got AMD overdrive enabled? Besides this, check your card's settings, see if there are any possible conflicts.

Declaring ignorance is redundant. Please don't be rude. Take a second look at the last part and note the parentheses, thank you.

-Sam