Best Way to Restore Data

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014
Hello,
I have a non-bootable backup of all the C: folders...
How will I able to copy the data, so that I don't have to install the hundreds of programs and change hundreds of settings from scratch?
DefpSLT.png

Thanks,
Andrew5

Solution
Unfortunately, no.
You can't just copy the /Users/ folder and have it actually work.

Yes, reinstalling everything is a PAIN.
This is why a comprehensive backup plan is strongly suggested.

Won't make any difference for this time...but for next time, you'll be prepared.

For instance...all the drives in my main PC can die right now.
They are all individually backed up to the NAS box.
I can resurrect the system in about an hour, from what it was at 2AM this morning.

If the NAS box also dies, I can resurrect things as they were last Wednesday at 7AM.

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014

Same Windows 10 Pro version, different drive (my old one died)...

USAFRet

Titan

As said...applications will need to be reinstalled. The new Registry (and elsewhere) knows nothing about them.

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Andrew5 : "Copying Files from Old Install to New Install"

Hello,
I have a new, fresh install of Windows, since my old SSD died, and I am wondering how I can transfer files from an unbootable backup of the C: drive I have made about a month ago, not belonging to this install. For example, can I simply copy the contents Users folder from the old install to the new install?

By any chance, is it possible to copy the entire old C: drive contents into the new SSD and make it bootable? I find it a huge pain to reinstall the hundreds of programs and drivers I had.

Thanks,
Andrew5

USAFRet

Titan
Unfortunately, no.
You can't just copy the /Users/ folder and have it actually work.

Yes, reinstalling everything is a PAIN.
This is why a comprehensive backup plan is strongly suggested.

Won't make any difference for this time...but for next time, you'll be prepared.

For instance...all the drives in my main PC can die right now.
They are all individually backed up to the NAS box.
I can resurrect the system in about an hour, from what it was at 2AM this morning.

If the NAS box also dies, I can resurrect things as they were last Wednesday at 7AM.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS