Will I get value from new build? Thinking about ditching 3570k for Ryzen or Kabylake

gamgem

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
First off I am a gamer, but also a Software Engineer. So the new Ryzen CPU's look very tasty. I have been rocking a 3570k at 4.2 for over four years and recently just lost half of my 16 gigs of ram to presumably old age. So naturally I was thinking its been almost 5 years, if I do a fresh build I will get crazy performance benefits. To my surprise it doesn't look that way (This guy is running basically same thing as me). My last upgrade in my current machine was getting an R9 390, and it still keeps up pretty well with the games I play. I am trying to understand what kind of value I would get from going for a Ryzen 5/7 build around my existing 390, a fresh set of DDR4 ram running faster then my current 1333 MHz, and hopefully a nice m.2 form SSD. Obviously the ram and SSD should give me a nice boost and the Ryzen will help a bit for my personal/work projects but am I getting enough or really any gaming performance increase?

I have done a little research on benchmarks for faster RAM and various m.2's but I am not sold. If any of you have personal experience with this (I know that the 3570k is kinda of legendary so I am sure there are some of you out there) or know of a good link please send me that way :).

Also if you think AMD is awful and have an opinion on getting an i5/i7 or waiting for Intel's new stuff at the "end of the year" feel free to spew that!

Oh and finally this is sorta the build I am looking at in case you all have opinions (build). Not sure if I should just go ahead and get the x since I am probably going to buy a better cooler anyway or not. Haven't sold myself on CPU choice yet :)

Thanks!
Gabe

u r right the 3570k. its still a good cpu. and upgrading to the cannon lake next year might be worth it.
ur upgrade is also dependent on what monitor u have and will it be used to push the limits? if its a 144hz gaming monitor, the ryzen upgrade can make sense. but cannon lake with vega gpu in next year may give u more bang for buck.

TRENDING THREADS