R9 Fury & PSU Query PCIE Power 6/8 Pin

KingOfComputing

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I recently got a R9 Fury, which requires two 8 pin PCIE connectors coming from the PSU. I thought my PSU, an XFX Core 550 watt had this, but upon closer inspection, it actually has only one 8 pin (6+2) and one 6 pin, which isn't enough. The box the card came in has adaptors to 8 pin, but each adaptor needs TWO 6 pin PCIE, so if I connect my two PCIE leads to it, I only have one PCIE 8 pin lead in total, again not enough.

I have checked and my PSU should be able to power this card ok, as reading and watching reviews most total system loads with it in comes in at under 400 watt, giving 150 watt headroom and that’s on beefier systems than mine, yet I can't see how I can connect it so that it has all two sets of 8 pin PCIE leads it wants with my existing PSU?

If I just connect all the leads I have, the PCIE 8 pin and PCIE 6 pin, is there any chance it will just at least turn on and boot? as I really need to verify the card is ok (Amazon Warehouse buy) before potentially having to buy a whole new PSU for it. I have already had to buy a bigger case for it, as it wouldn’t fit in my last one and an active DP to HDMI 2.0 adaptor. Much as I was pleased to get the card as I got a good deal on it, it’s turning into a real money sink and may not even work for all I know. ):

Susquehannock

Honorable
Go ahead and use the 6 to 8 pin adapter. That XFX Core 550 unit is 44-amp single rail and will be perfectly fine providing what is needed through the wires and connectors.