Windows freezes on dual channel ram used to work fine

Ravenz1921

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Was playing a game. windows crashed. hardpowered off instead of submiting error report. Now windows freezes on boot on anything past single channel ram. clears cmos, enters windows loading dots, spins on cycle and freezes whan dots form an arch. Ram is read in bios, single channel ram loads, ran a disk check came back ok, sfc finds corruption but fails to repair.
edit:now only one stick at a time will boot windows single channel dual stick freezes when dots are on left side before 1 dot cycle
specs: ryzen 1800x; crosshair vi hero; g.skill ripjaws v f4-3200c14q-32gvk; r9 290x 8gb tri-0x
note:no overclock applied.(including xmp)
update:ran chckdsk and got
Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 5178D
is corrupt.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 66482
is corrupt.
1295616 file records processed.
File verification completed.
24551 large file records processed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Ravenz1921 : "Windows freezes on dual channel ram used to work fine"

Did you reset the CMOS? if not, try that first. It might be trying to boot the RAM at the 3200. I am not saying you *can't* run that RAM at 3200, just that at this point in RYZEN history it might not like that speed as well as it likes say... 2667. It sounds like you're getting to the windows part, so past the bios. You could also try upping the DRAM voltage a bit, say 1.4 or so. Also, you could try setting the SOC voltage near 1.1 give or take, well, don't go much higher than that. NB LLC to 1 or 2 might also help. Relax the timings might be of aid too... Lotsa little tweaks.

Ravenz1921

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

right now I'm at the "scanning and repairing drive c: 13%" screen by using only one stick. Once this finishes (likely overnight by the progress) i'll try doing the tweaks such as soc voltage or relaxing the timings. I've already tried bumping the voltage to 1.35 earlier and it had no effect. I theorize it is likely a windows driver that became corrupted or a bios driver.

I have an MSI Gaming Titanium and am going through similar troubles, that's why I wrote. It wasn't anything to do with my drives, even the checkdisk is gonna come out normal, most likely. My RAM was giving me little errors that at first went unnoticed, but over the course of a day or so became so egregious that my system shut down and wouldn't boot. I lowered timings and clock on my RAM and whammo, booted and ran. I'm currently running stability tests to make sure I'm in a good spot for now, but every motherboard bios revision they're getting better and better. My RAM is 2x16Gb G.Skill 3200C15, which is an odd timing, but it is Samsung B Die from what I gathered, problem seems to be two fold, it's dual sided which somewhat confuses the computer somewhere. The ones that are running at 3200, the G.Skill C14 Samsung B Die aren't running everything with that, most of them are able to post 3200, but I'm still reading from people there's trouble here and there, we're not out of the woods yet. I have a set of 3600C16 B Die on the way, I'ma try those out when they get here, but that's only 16Gb, 2X8gb. Those should run at 3200C14 with a little bit of tweaking. We shall see.