Does Gsync matter?

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016
I'm saving up atm to buy a 144hz 1080p monitor and I can save $100 if i 'cheap out' and don't get a Gsync one (between these 2 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160226 ; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N85KT9343).

I play Planetside 2 mostly and fps tends to fluctaute a lot. Also there is a lot of screen tearing when flying and i'm wondering if 144hz by itself could get rid of that

PC Specs:
GTX 1070
i5 6600k @4.4 Ghz
16gb DDR4 @2400 hz

Solution

Vsync works best when your frame rate stays above your screen's refresh rate. It can add a tiny bit of input lag, but that would be less than a 1 frame delay, which in most games is not likely to be a significant problem, though I'm not sure about Planetside 2.

A 144Hz display will not get rid of tearing on its own, and tearing will likely continue to be especially noticeable if your frame rate is...

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016

My current display is 60hz but i get above 60fps 95% of the time so that'd just mean extra input lag. As for a 144hz screen i guess it would be an option but PS2 can go from 200fps (which would result in extra input lag) to 70 in a matter of minutes and i would rather not have to keep toggling it

Vsync works best when your frame rate stays above your screen's refresh rate. It can add a tiny bit of input lag, but that would be less than a 1 frame delay, which in most games is not likely to be a significant problem, though I'm not sure about Planetside 2.

A 144Hz display will not get rid of tearing on its own, and tearing will likely continue to be especially noticeable if your frame rate is close to being divisible by the screen's refresh rate, for example, near 144 and 72fps, when each tear will line up with the one before it. At frame rates farther from those values, the tearing might be slightly less noticeable due to each tear staying on screen for less time, but they'll still be there without some form of vsync or adaptive sync.

Solution

Only $100 more? Good shopping.

The value of g-sync lies in one word which is, adaptive. Vsync attempts to lock the framerate to that of the monitor's refresh rate. That's great when your PC's horsepower well exceeds that of the monitor/TV. Enter adaptive technologies which avoid framerate overdose but also help when malnutrition happens. They help on both sides of the coin which makes a lot of sense to those that can afford it.

Is that value worth it to you? Does the investment justify the return?

comes from another question but is relevant to yours.

You're buying a 144Hz monitor. Vsync is all you need if you know you will have 144+FPS all the time. That isn't likely with some and upcoming games. G-Sync allows a fluctuation below and up to 144Hz.

Both technologies help to avoid screen tearing. G-Sync goes a step further by allowing your FPS to fall below your monitor's refresh while still staying smooth. V-sync can't do that.

Is v-sync enabled or is there some kind of FPS limiter(smoothing) in place?

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016
Is v-sync enabled or is there some kind of FPS limiter(smoothing) in place?

No my current display is 60hz so vsync only adds lag, and quite a bit at that. I never tried setting a custom value for smoothing (like 120fps) but that doesn't help with tearing either afaik. My main issue is that while 60 fps and 120fps look butter smooth, anything in between, which is where i'm mostly at, doesn't.

e: if you don't quote a whole message the quote screws up :D

Ok :D Let's try that again

V-sync should stop the tearing. A G-Sync enabled monitor would be a better solution but it's so expensive. Next up is a 144Hz monitor but if you go below that there can be issues. That's where G-Sync enters the picture. It's adaptive so it helps with the screen tearing while also helping out with input lag(when compared to vsync) but also helps when the FPS falls below that of the monitor. Vsync can't do anything when that happens.

Quotes from my answer from another question.

Not sure what I did wrong last time.

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016

It was actually my message, if you check, it says
"Is v-sync enabled or is there some kind of FPS limiter(smoothing) in place? said:
Is v-sync enabled or is there some kind of FPS limiter(smoothing) in place?"

but looking at the formatting now, i could fix that

I see.

Seeing as how input lag is at the very bottom of your Christmas list I think G-sync is worth it.

TRENDING THREADS