3 Monitors on a Docking Station

So, I posted a thread before, but it did not include a docking station. Now my job has upgrading me, and I have a laptop. It's a E6520. Has an i7-3540m (i think). I made sure to research and look at the specification. In order to get 3 screens, I need at least Two DisplayPorts and either a DVI/HDMI/VGA.

Now here is the tricky part. At work, I was finally able to get the 3 screen set up with 2 DPs and a VGA. I got the same exact docking station, and when I take my laptop home, I cannot get it to work. When there is no VGA, I can use both the DP-connected monitors. As soon as I plug in the VGA, one of the DP-connected monitor goes away. I know it's not a cable thing because the laptop can detect the monitor. But once I try to extend it in Windows 10 settings, it says "The display combination connect be saved, please try another setting"

Here are two pics. The middle one is VGA and the outside two are DP. When the VGA is not plugged in, it is off, but once the VGA is plugged in, the right side turns off.
Bf4VKwk.jpg

XMTx2oK.jpg

So now I am work and having the same issue:

When I dock it back in the office I cannot get it to work. When there is no VGA, I can use both the DP-connected monitors. As soon as I plug in the VGA, one of the DP-connected monitor goes away. I know it's not a cable thing because the laptop can detect the monitor. But once I try to extend it in Windows 10 settings, it says "The display combination connect be saved, please try another setting" in red text.

What on earth am I doing wrong? I've made sure everything is updated, did not change anything in the BIOS. Restarted multiple times, just cannot get this to work. I also tried using DVI cables, but came to the conclusion, that DVI will not work for the 3-display.

No, it's closed. And I am not worried about using it as well. I truly would like the triple screen (like I had yesterday). Here's a pic:
wXRpaQt.jpg

U6f07RC.jpg

The left is DisplayPort (also tried using DVI), the middle is VGA, and the right is DisplayPort. I just took these 5mins ago right after a cold boot.

Not sure if you can see the display settings, but the laptop screen is not even an option, it only shows the 3 screens. In Intel's settings, I only have two. So what is weird, Windows knows it has 3 screens connected, but it will not connected. Again, updated to the latest driver (Nov 2016).

Again, this is just for work, not permanent use. What's really stange is that the laptop display goes away too.

I also read this FAQ front to back:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005556.html
In most cases, three independent displays are supported in the following configurations:

If two of the displays are DisplayPort* monitors
If one of the displays is an Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi)
If the built-in display is an Embedded DisplayPort1 (eDP)

LenSteenkamp

Prominent
May 15, 2017
I had a similar problem. Had a good setup with two monitors connected to Dell laptop with VGA and DVI-D Single Link via docking station. Was able to extend display over three monitors (including Dell Latitude E5550's monitor). Suddenly it just started acting up. Managed to identify that as soon as I plugged it the VGA, it led to multiple displays not being picked up any more.

After lots of trial and error, I fixed it by, wait for it, just swapping the cables between the monitors. Yes indeed, I plugged the DVI cable into the monitor where the VGA cable was, and the VGA cable into the monitor where the DVI was. Everything is working again. I have NO idea why this worked. There is no logic to this that I can discern, but it works for the time being.

There are stranger things to worry about, so I'll just accept it and move on.

Hope you get your issue sorted though!