Help dual monitor setup 144hz and 60hz

PeydoStalin

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Hi, I am going to buy a Acer GN246HL (144hz) and right now I have a BenQ GL2460HM (60hz) I w
Am going to do dual monitor, but I was wondering if a 144hz and 60hz monitor dual setup would work at all, or with my specs:

GTX 950
AMD 8350, thanks in advance

Solution
Hey! I have a 144hz and a 60hz setup too and they work just fine (both have displayports, like psycrow mentioned it's better). The only limitation you're gonna have is that the 60 hz one will cap the 144 hz one to 60 hz if you're running anything involving fullscreen graphics on the 60 hz one. I realized this while trying to play hearthstone on the 60 hz one while doing smthn else or playin some other game on the main 144 hz one. Did my research, apparently it's not a bug, it's just what the card can handle at the moment, even tho older cards didn't have this problem which is a pity. So if you don't intend on doing that, you'll be just fine! If you got any more questions, i'm glad to help!

Ghost594

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Hey! I have a 144hz and a 60hz setup too and they work just fine (both have displayports, like psycrow mentioned it's better). The only limitation you're gonna have is that the 60 hz one will cap the 144 hz one to 60 hz if you're running anything involving fullscreen graphics on the 60 hz one. I realized this while trying to play hearthstone on the 60 hz one while doing smthn else or playin some other game on the main 144 hz one. Did my research, apparently it's not a bug, it's just what the card can handle at the moment, even tho older cards didn't have this problem which is a pity. So if you don't intend on doing that, you'll be just fine! If you got any more questions, i'm glad to help!

Solution

WeiGz24

Prominent
May 23, 2017

I'm in a similar situation Here's my dilemma.
last week, I just built a personal gaming pc. I had no trouble running 1 monitor. I then decided to start streaming again to twitch, so i hooked up my Asus VS247H (60hz) to be my second monitor, to read chat/prieview stream in OBS, etc. I am using the Asus VG248 (144hz) monitor to actually game on. The problem that im encountering is that whenever I have a website open such as twitch or youtube and a video is playing, my in game FPS on my first monitor drops from 144 to 60 immediately and stays there. Even something as small the chat bubbles in skype flickering when someone talks, interrupts my FPS on the main monitor. The second I MINIMIZE the application or website, the FPS returns to 144hz. Is there a solution to this? Also the 144hz monitor is connected using a display port cable, the 60hz monitor is hooked up via HDMI. (both are plugged into the GPU.)

Edit: currently running the 382.05 driver (i uninstalled the 383.33 since that failed me as well.)

SPECS: Geforce GTX 1080ti, i7-7700k, 16gb RAM, 250gb SSD, 2TB HDD, MSI z270 krait gaming motherboard, evga 1000w power supply, Windows 10 Pro

Ghost594

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

I've had the same problem so what i decided to do was plugging my 60 hz monitor into my mobo's display port to run it on intel HD graphics while the 144 hz one would run solo on my nvidia card. That will solve the capping problem since they're now running on 2 different video cards.

However, in my case, even tho the fps doesn't cap at 60 anymore, there's still an fps drop whenever like you menitoned, a taskbar icon flickers or there's any kind of movement on the second monitor, which is hella weird knowing that they re not on the same card anymore. So in my case it didn't solve the problem completely but it's a start i guess? I've opened a thread on this a while ago but nobody answered so we re both unlucky i guess. If you try that though and it works for you without any fps drops could you please let me know? That would help me find a solution to my own problem. Thanks and good luck!

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3406052/dual-monitors-fps-drops-connected-graphics-card.html

Carlos_40

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

I have trying to research these issue. the main window monitor is the one on the IGPU? i amuse that using the video card, on both panels the stream program was almost frame 0 correct? using eh igpu that will not happen?