PS4 to DVI

awesome2318

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Hi, I was curious if I would be able to connect a ps4 to my monitor with a DVI port. My monitor is a dell p2213. If I am able to connect my ps4 to my dell monitor with DVI, is there something I can use to switch between DVI's because my computer also currently uses the DVI port. Also, my monitors resoultion is 1680 x 1050, Would that make my ps4 look weird on this monitor?

Solution

Check the manual for your monitor. Maybe there are settings, which let you display in 16:9 (letterbox mode / 1:1 pixel mapping). This would leave you with the black bars and would be by far the best mode to use...

Kollosso

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
Basically yes, you can use a HDMI<->DVI cable to connect your PS4 to your monitor. You just need to make sure it's DVI-D (not DVI-I). The problem that comes with this, is that there will be no sound via the cable anymore, but you can still use your PS4 headphone if it is plugged into your controller.

As for the resolution, i think it depends on the game. Generally, the PS4 will still output its native resoluton which in most cases is 1920x1080 or 1280x720. If your monitor has a 16:9-mode, use it. If not, games might do one of the following: render in 720p and upscale as good as possible; generate black bars; cut off sides.

You can use multiple cords leading to one port with a DVI-switcher (I have no experience with these but they seem to work fine). Personally I think simply switching the cords manually to the device you want to use is less of a hassle than buying and setting up the switcher and cords that are needed but that's your own choice obviously.

awesome2318

Prominent
May 3, 2017

My monitor has 16:10 4:3 and 5:4. Do you think using the 16:10 is good enough? Im probably going to be using 1280x720 on the ps4, and if it is upscaled, will the graphics quality degrade greatly? Also, do you think this cable would work? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UL8U/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493865324&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi%2Bto%2Bdvi-d&th=1
Also, do you think there would be a way to force my monitor into 16:9? I'd rather have black bars than a blurry picture

Kollosso

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015

Check the manual for your monitor. Maybe there are settings, which let you display in 16:9 (letterbox mode / 1:1 pixel mapping). This would leave you with the black bars and would be by far the best mode to use.

The cable you linked should work as far as I'm concerned.

Since some games natively only render in 900p and are then upscaled by default instead of rendering in 1080p without you even noticing, I believe upscaling won't be too much of a concern quality wise - at the very least it's gonna look better than a stretched image.

Solution