New Windows 10 1703 (Creators) Update

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
EDIT:

Maybe this is the question without being so confusing and convoluted as the original bottom question was. :D

9AHKPWZ.jpg

I haven't purposely chosen to sync anything to OneDrive. Why is the Pictures Folder marked as synced and how do I un-sync it; remove the checkmark?

What happened in the Location sidebar of My Computer:

7k1xMlZ.jpg

So I've moved my User Account Folders to D:/ (Picture 'C'). All my Pictures are there in Pictures, and all my videos are in Videos. There is also a set of those User Account Folders (which are empty) in 'One Drive,' fine.

My question is: why are those same folders that are in OneDrive above also here? I'm guessing it's OneDrive local and OneDriveCloud differences? In other words, I used to right click and save on a picture, and it would go to my User Account Pic folder in D:, now it goes to This Computer/OneDrive.

Under OneDrive Settings, I have Documents and Pictures set to 'This PC Only,' No problem with Documents or Videos, in fact in OneDrive Settings there is no dialog for where to save videos- local or OneDrive.

Sooooooooooooooooooo confused.

Thank you

Colif

Win 11 Master
Onedrive: right click the onedrive icon in the hidden area of task bar (I wish i knew its name, just click the up arrow), and choose settings
on the account tab, click the choose folders button
untick pictures and anything else you don't want saved on onedrive

A: I think onedrive just has default folders it offers to save, they might be empty if you never synced documents

B: the folders you are wondering about are actually the library folders, if you moved the picture folder to D drive, then right click the picture library folder and check its location. it should be D, even though it shows under C... the library folder is on C but the location of the files is D

if you just copy/paste the picture folder to D and didn't move it via the library folder, then library will still think all the pictures are on C, and show an empty directory

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

AH!! Thank you so much for kick-starting my brain! This update changed the location of just this Library folder back to C;/. Never thought of checking the Location in Properties.

Thank you too Microsoft. :kaola:

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Baa!! There's still something wonky. Like I said, all the other Library folders are fine, just Pictures has the problem. When I choose in Properties to move the Location back to D; it say's it can't, there's already a file with the same name there. If I drag that Pictures Library Icon/Folder out of there and try again, it gives me the same message, even tho there isn't visually 'a same folder' there. Rebooting makes no difference.

**EDIT**
Googling this shows Lots 'O Peeps having this problem, and the answer seems to be fiddling around with the registry, Wonderful.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running system restore as it should roll back folders to how they were whenever its last restore date was
go to settings/update & security/recovery - advanced startup, click restart PC now button
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
it might have a recent date for yu to choose, select one if available and PC will roll system settings back to how they were

Or

Try the 3rd file here, it resets the file locations back to defaults

This post provides you the list of User Shell Folders in Windows 10 and their default paths. If you’ve moved or relocated a shell folder, in most cases you can restore it to the default location via the folder properties Location tab. There are cases the Location tab option can’t be used, such as two special folders (for example, Music and Videos) pointing to the same location, or clicking Restore Default causes an error. In such cases, resetting the path in the registry is the possible solution.

you want w10_usf_clear_override_hkcu.zip as it resets the folders you have problems with

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-shell-folders-paths-defaults-restore/

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for the help Colif! That's the page where I used the string to reset the Pictures folder to default location. I edited the Registry manually.
but it didn't make any difference: I might try unlinking OneDrive and see what happens. There is no Restore Point naturally,

UcVYNX2.jpg

Should there be the 2 refrences to 'Pictures?'

Colif

Win 11 Master
have a look at the llink, it resets the defaults of the following
Saved pictures
Camera roll
Screenshots
Local documents
local downloads
local music
local pictures
local videos

I think they the folders you were after

as for shot, I think thats normal as one is in Onedrive and one is in user

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Since the only problem I'm having is with the Pictures one, and I have used %UserProfile%\OneDrive\Pictures which didn't help, I'll either live with it, or try unlinking OneDrive and see what that does, instead of resetting all the other Library Folders that are okay. Thanks!