I regret ever buying a Windows Store Game

bally30

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016
I really hate Windows Store games.. Basically i have had noting but problem after problem,
Why cant we have the option of telling Xbox app where my game is located instead of having to download the whole game again & if you get power failure your buggered, As you have to download again due to error messages,

I brought Gears of War 4 3 months ago & ive spent more time getting the game installed & working then playing the game
(Its A MASSIVE 125GB Game)

After a week of non stop headache i finally got the game installed played for 30 mins, Then a few hours latter i started having problems with my PC (Not Windows store or game related) any how i decided to do a system restore, after gaining access to my PC after the restore, I see that Gears of War 4 game is gone from games list in Xbox app but the folder which contains the 125GB of data is still there & now i cant delete it. The only way i know how to delete it is to download the game again to the same drive & that will copy over the game & a option to uninstall will present itself in the start menu installed apps section, Simple really, "WRONG" Only problem is i don't have another 125GB space on my SSD which is 250GB in size & my other 2 drives are nearly full, so basically im buggered with a useless folder just sitting there until i come up will a idea!
Also i have a HDD with the same game gears of war 4 on it after reinstalling windows 10 & no way of removing it
(What the hell windows, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???)

I really think that windows store games just like GFWL will shut down its just a matter of time & that makes me think what happens to all the games i brought (Only 2, but still they weren't cheap)

So i have decided i will never ever ever buy another game from windows again because i know they wont be around for long .
To think i was going to buy Forza Horizon 3 game, Thank god i didn't

thisguy365

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Are you actually looking for assistance or just complaining?

When you did the system restore windows reverts registry and configuration information back but not files/folders. So the configuration saying your game is there would be gone but not the files. You should be able to delete them normally, are you getting an access error or files in use?

bally30

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016
Complaining & asking for Assistant, if there is another way to remove game folder, from the looks of it you dont have that information because i can tell you have never brought a game from the windows store if you are telling me i should be able to delete them normally

thisguy365

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Fair enough, and i have not ever bought a game from the store i use Steam for that. I do however have experience with windows and applications messing up. When you try to delete the files are you getting an access denied message? or files in use? most likely issue is that the acls are messed up after the restore. If that is the case you would get an access denied message. Got to the properties on the games directory, and try taking ownership and assigning full control permissions to your self.

bally30

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016
i get access denied it says something like you dont have permission to view these files its really annoying also i will try windirstat when i get home later
also i prefer steam like you much better than Xbox live, i only got the 2 games from the store i couldn't get from stream
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Gears of War 4

thisguy365

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

So the ACLs (access control lists) are messed up. Right click on the game's file directory> properties> security> advanced>
Try to change ownership to yourself or Administrators, and check the box to apply to subcontainers.