Resolution and/or Size Issues

Mashkai

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
I just hooked up a 32" LED HDTV as my monitor. I understand it can only go up to 1366x768 rather than the 1920x1080 I was used to. Problem is that everything is SO HUGE and cluttered.I tried playing a game and everything was giant sized. Buttons and chat menus all stacked on top of each other. Is there anyway for me to scale it down a little? Or am I stuck like this?

Solution
Try a different resolution then. try 1280x720. Suprised that a TV would have that resolution as that is not a standard TV resolution (usually only comes in 720p, 1080p, 3k and 4k.

If you are forcing it to an offbeat resolution then that could certainly cause it to look weird.

Also you might look at settings in your graphics crontrol panel (intel, nvidia, or amd catalyst). This may be in your taskbar (bottom left corner) or in the control panel
No, you have a 32" low resolution TV designed for you to play 720p video while being 6-8 ft away. Thus naturally trying to display digital video games while siting 1 ft away is going to look like complete crap.

The game itself is likely poorly coded to scale to lower resolution monitors, it likely says in minimum requirements to be above that resolution.

Mashkai

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

I understand what you are saying. However, no, the game I was mentioning as an example has a minimum req. of 800x600. I have played it @ that resolution and not had this issue. Buttons and menus were scaled to size and fit within the screen parameters of 800x600. At this higher resolution, they aren't. At the 1920x1080, they were as well. It doesn't make sense that at both a lower and higher resolution things would be scaled to fit yet not be at this mid-range resolution. This isn't about whether or not the graphics "look like complete crap"- this is about things being scaled to fit within the screen size. My current budgetary restrictions mean I likely don't play any games, use any programs, or own any hardware that you would consider state of the art or not "complete crap". What I own is what I own and I must make the best of it until such time as I can afford differently. That doesn't mean that the issue isn't there, however. It's not just in games either. A number of other programs have had the same issue. I am not familiar enough with either Windows 10 nor display issues to solve it myself.

Try a different resolution then. try 1280x720. Suprised that a TV would have that resolution as that is not a standard TV resolution (usually only comes in 720p, 1080p, 3k and 4k.

If you are forcing it to an offbeat resolution then that could certainly cause it to look weird.

Also you might look at settings in your graphics crontrol panel (intel, nvidia, or amd catalyst). This may be in your taskbar (bottom left corner) or in the control panel

Solution