Oil & Water mix in coolant

Jermaine_5

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Could I drive my 2006 Grand Prix with sludge/milkshake what it is termed. The vehicle was flushed, but not properly and there is still sludge in the radiator.

Solution
it's called Emulsified Oil and the short answer is no.

if the problem was corrected (new head gasket, etc) then it would be fine to drive for a short distance, just not recommended. I would remove the thermostat, and cycle water through the engine to clear it completely out.

The good news is that you can replace with the Green coolant instead of dexcool :) just put a note on the radiator for your mechanic or the quick oil change places.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
it's called Emulsified Oil and the short answer is no.

if the problem was corrected (new head gasket, etc) then it would be fine to drive for a short distance, just not recommended. I would remove the thermostat, and cycle water through the engine to clear it completely out.

The good news is that you can replace with the Green coolant instead of dexcool :) just put a note on the radiator for your mechanic or the quick oil change places.

Solution
+1 for mymutter's suggestion. Not a good idea (assuming the problem has been fixed, definite no if it hasn't). Seems it would be difficult to tell if the problem was fixed with sludge in the coolant, trying to determine old leftovers vs continuing problem. Sometimes a couple of flushes take care of it, other times it can be a real bear. I've seen cars that there was still sludge after 6 or 7 flushes using a flush machine at the shop.

Best case scenario assuming the fix actually fixed the issue and you're just dealing with residual mess in the cooling system it can potentially clog up the radiator by continuing to drive it. That may in turn cause an overheating situation and more problems. Dexcool is junk and more problems than it's worth. You're better off with plain old green.

TRENDING THREADS