OS Boot Issues From USB Flash Drive (Win7 - Win10)

Pogfamous

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I recently encountered a problem with my OS, leading me to attempt a fresh install of Windows. My previous windows versionn was 7 Ultimate, I am now attempting to boot a copy of a Windows 10 ISO on a USB Flash Drive.

The problem is that despite selecting the flash drive as 1st in boot priority through bios, the system is still booting from the HDD. I have already tried removing the HDD from the boot queue altogether, leading me to a screen which reads: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in slected boot device and press a key". Upon pressing a key the same prompt is issued.

Rig is as follows:
MSI Z77A-G43
Intel i3 Processor (Sandybridge)
Nvidia 570 GPU
Hyperx 2 x 4gb sticks.

Solution

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Is your BIOS set to UEFI? Because if not, it won't work. Different BIOS boot settings are for different OS' so when you are doing Win 7 it's fine as your BIOS settings support that, but because you're booting a different OS you need to change the BIOS setting to UEFI if you haven't already.

This will likely fix the issue, recommend backing up your data regardless after the fact. If you don't have a solution in place, a disk imager like Macrium Reflect or a snapshot tool like RollBack Rx will do the trick.

Pogfamous

Prominent
May 4, 2017
CSS:
Thanks for the response. Although I have a vague idea of what you are talking about I can't claim to be an expert. Is there a universal way to switch BIOS to UEFI? I've tried a bit of googling but I can't seem to get it to work, any help is appreciated.

Pogfamous

Prominent
May 4, 2017
So i managed to get the drive to boot from UEFI. However im left with a black screen with commands written in yellow grey and white. At the end it asks me to press escape to skip 'startup.nsh' or any button to continue. Both leave the screen unchanged.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Sounds like a different BIOS setting and UEFI aren't working well together, try resetting the BIOS to factory settings then if it's not UEFI already, change that back.

Pogfamous

Prominent
May 4, 2017

Hi, i reset the BIOS by shorting CMOS pins on my motherboard. It seemed to have reset, because I was asked to either continue or enter setup. I picked setup and selected the UEFI:flashdrive under the boot menu and reset. Upon resetting I was faced with the same problem.

http://i.imgur.com/bPPKG6N.jpg

bPPKG6N.jpg

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Take out one of your RAM sticks, which should bring up a screen saying "memory or CPU was changed. press F1 to go to set up, and F2 to use default settings." Plugg in an old PS/2 keyboard and press Del on the startup of this screen which should take you to the BIOS. After you get to the BIOS change the boot option from "EFI boot" to "Disabled".

Sounds like this is an issue of two OS' running different Boot Modes. You may want to re-consider why you need two OS' especially ones with different boot modes. It's possible to run but it's also mildly difficult and depending on the BIOS can be difficult. You may want to consider running a VM instead.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS