DirectX Runtime Install Question

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have noticed that some games, or older retro emulators, request to install DirectX runtimes. Windows 10 comes with DirectX 12...can someone explain or simply answer how this works...Is DirectX not backwards compatible with previous versions? For example, if I see a game that wants to install DirectX runtimes, and see that they are previous to 12, should I let them? I've noticed that they install in different misc directories. When I run dxdiag, I see that it still shows DirectX12 as the installed version. Just curious what is going on? Likewise, when I uninstall the game, do I need to worry about leftover old DirectX runtimes?

Solution
Often there are files that the older games need thus the request to install a prior installer for DirectX. In essence it's harmless and will only help you in playing the older title.

No need to worry about the older DirectX files. By default the Direct X version on Windows 10 is 12.

Lutfij

Titan
Often there are files that the older games need thus the request to install a prior installer for DirectX. In essence it's harmless and will only help you in playing the older title.

No need to worry about the older DirectX files. By default the Direct X version on Windows 10 is 12.

Solution

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to make sure it was harmless. If requested during installs, assuming I don't know that they're already installed, I'll opt to install to reduce chance of games not working. Much appreciated.