Best CPUs (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adiomari

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
This site has lost all of its credibility for me. Best CPUs without a single ryzen CPU?????! Ryzen is better than all the listed CPUs, and yet not listed. All intel CPUs not a single AMD ryzen? wow!

newton75x

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
there is no reason for the i3 7100 to be on the list when we have the pentium 4560/4600 available, and we have no ryzen 1600? .

onlyanoob

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Once upon a time there was a site that stood out from the rest for quality unbiased reviews. Alas that site has fallen far from it lofty perch. You are a site for people who know their tech. do you realise how laughable this line up is for May 2017? only one CPU deserves a listing on this page the I 7700K.
Obviously this "Tom's Hardware reviews products independently. When you click links to buy products we may earn money that supports our work." suggests you had a very nice affiliate offer from a desperate Intel.
Just writing to let you know that this site is forever on my "Do not take any notice of what they write " list and of course like wise for Non recommendation to others I know. Shame on you guys.

00HeXadecimal00

Prominent
May 5, 2017
There should be 2 intel CPU's on this list the G4560 and the 7700K, the middle 3 spots should be taken by 1500X, 1600, and 1600X respectively. Saying the 7500 is a better buy than the 1600 for $200 is an absolute joke.

MJH_

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Not a single AMD cpu? Hah, that's pretty much the last straw, I've been coming here less and less but this is the last time. DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT.

Intrepid_1

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I bought a 7600K after reading Toms Hardware to pair with my 1080, only to find that i had bottlenecking and stuttering in newer games like BF1, the problem was all 4 threads of the 7600 were at 100% a lot of the time, i sent it back and get a Ryzen 1600, performance is mostly the same, sometimes a little better but crutially none of its threads are at 100% and its much much smoother than the 7600K.
What is happening to reviewers these days where they are missing something as fundamental as this and still recommending far worse and under performing CPU's with far fewer cores than clearly and obviously much better ones?

Useless.... thanks for nothing!

Death_sex

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Hey Tom's, did you forget the $219 Ryzen 1600 that comes with a cooler already existed? What the point of the i3 7100, did you forget you already listed the G4560 which makes the i3 line up a joke for more budget minded gamers? The i5 7600K and i7 7700K's lofty 5Ghz overclock ceiling is only attainable with more exotic cooling, at which point people can pick up Ryzen 1700's and 1700X's for less. So whats the point in waving that 5Ghz number around when you have to pay more than a faster 1700 costs for your i5 7600K to have adequate cooling to hit that frequency?

Death_sex

Prominent
May 5, 2017

Unfortunately, very very few reviewers tested BF1 in multiplayer, which is night and day compared to a single player benchmark, as you quickly discovered.

I've been coming to this site for 12 years now and I'm tired of the favoritism. Using Project Cars in your benchmark suite despite every other reviewer recommending it and now this. I was able to look past it up till now but this is ridiculous.

FcoEnriquePerez

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Hahaha this article is garbage, justifying why ryzen isn't on the list, not even trying to hide the bias.

There's not a single reason to buy an i5 cpu right now.

Ashwaganda

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
There is propably only 2 sites that recommend intel i5-s. Toms hardware and pc perspective all others recommend ryzens. Truth is r5 1600 offers such great all around performance and extremely good value. Compared to that i5 should cost 30-50$ less than it costs now. There is no justifications for recommending i5 period.

Gene_18

Prominent
May 5, 2017
The 7100 shouldn't be on the list. Idk who put this on the list or why, but it had NOTHING. to do with $/perf! Also, the lack of Ryzen cpu's is startling! At the bare minimum the R5 1600 should be on the list!!!

My lisr,

G4560
Ryzen 1500x
Ryzen 1600
Ryzen 1700
Intel 7700k - worse long term platform, but still technically the best available atm.

sushukka

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Writing lame excuses at the beginning of the article don't diminish the utterly shameless dropout of Ryzen processors. Behaving like a big trustworthy pc hardware site you could at least try to act "neutral", but now you couldn't just more underline the bias you're having towards Intel. It says best cpu's, not gaming cpu's or whatever. Which CPU has best overall price/performance ratio and there is where Ryzen wins. You can have 7700k if you overclock it (which vast majority don't) as pure gaming processor (but no more) or G4560 for real low-end setups, but otherwise there should be Ryzen CPUs on the list. There are tons of reviews backing this up. By providing this kind of false information is seriously misleading customers to wrong purchase decisions.
Very deeply disappointed to TH and will spread this information further. Bye.

rbb138

Prominent
May 5, 2017
When OVER HALF THE ARTICLE is trying to justify only recommending one manufacturers CPUs, despite there being better alternatives in both price and performance, you know you're unbiased as hell.

"Truth is singular. Lies are words, words, words."

shroombab

Reputable
May 5, 2017
why would you guys recommend a 4c/4t cpu in 2017? the i5 is easily maxed out in lot of applications, not even talking about games. the 4c/4t is not future proof in the slightest.

shroombab

Reputable
May 5, 2017
why would you guys recommend a 4c/4t CPU in 2017? the i5 isn't future proof in the slightest. most of todays games easily max it out with no headroom left.

Intrepid_1

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Here, a real unbiased review.... look at the CPU 100% usage later on in this review, not to mention upto 50 FPS faster in Metro LL.

How do you explain all of that? why don't you do video game-play run-through reviews like that, far more telling than some slide with numbers on it, number anyone call pull from their behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlOs_McAVZ0

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Firstly, let me address the advertising/revenue bias thing. Our Editorial team and writing staff are expressly, painfully unbiased. There's a massive mile-high wall between Editorial and the Sales/Ads, and never the twain shall meet. Tom's cut its teeth on taking on payola schemes in hardware and the pay-for-play in the tech news scene back in the day, so it would be pretty damned stupid to reverse on that now. For what it's worth, whenever the editorial guys do up an article critical of Brand X, the Brand X fans accuse us of being in the deep pockets of Brand Y, and vice versa. We are simultaneously accused of being corporate shills for Samsung, Apple, Intel, Microsoft, AMD, Nvidia, and probably both Pepsi AND Coke. It comes with the territory on critical reporting. We tend to take accusations of bias pretty seriously though, because, well, we're one of the few tech news sites where that editorial wall is well-intact. Community (my department) has an awesome working relationship with AMD (see recent AMA with Don who used to work for us) and Intel on contests, giveaways, and forum events, but Editorial often gets the stink-eye because it's stick-in-the-mud about being objective. No joke, the guys treat editorial independence and integrity with near-religious fervor. I would ask that you please refrain from any accusations of bias unless you have evidence to assert on this. Otherwise, it's just a reactionary response and not constructive. We welcome feedback, always, on methodology, testing approach, and even the findings - but knee-jerk "OMG in the tank for Brand X!!" is not helpful, and we legit get it every critical review we conduct.

Secondly, as serious as they are about integrity, they back up their findings with fact and solid evidence. Our guys aren't always necessarily first, but they are the best, and they'll tell you things that aren't necessarily popular, and they'll dig in deeper than a lot of others. Our editorial staff stand by their work and deep dives in performance on hardware. I've been with Tom's for 8ish years now, and I can only remember two times in that entire history where a correction was issued on a faulty testing run. None of the editorial guys are fanboys. Some of my moderators certainly are, (and I have my own preferences), but we try to keep a healthy balance. Editorial doesn't get that luxury, and instead tackles reviews with stern objectivity.

Please try to keep comments here civil, and constructive. Thanks all!

-JP

Status
Not open for further replies.