help asap windows is killing me!

nickwhannan

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
So long story short been having an issue with windows 10 running at 100% disc space on my pc. So I just upgraded my motherboard, cpu, ram and did a wipe and reinstalled windows 10 and it is still doing it even worse now!!! Can someone give me a fix for this because at this point i want to throw my pc out the window!! Any help is appreciated this is ridiculous i cant even use my pc.

Solution
It's 95$ vs 127$

For the 30$ more you get nvme (much lower latency and yes it's noticable) and 6x (~550MB/s vs ~3000MB/s) read speed and 4x (~550MB/s vs ~2000MB/s) write speed.

If he didn't have a 7700k I'd say you're right, but I feel like a pretty big corner to cut for a small saving on a pretty high end system.

warhead0

Distinguished
There's many potential answers for this, ill try list a few i can think of.

Have you tried leaving the machine idle for a few hours, A fresh install will generally have some high usage while many services and activities creating cache on the HDD and various other little things like indexing the HDD.

Is the OS completely up to date, or is it performing a real time protection scan?

is the HDD healthy, perhaps the HDD has issues with bad sectors and is simply having read and write problems.

Perhaps buying an SSD for the OS drive is a much better 'upgrade' if disk usage is a problem, the SSD will perform many many times better than the HDD currently is.

nickwhannan

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
I have a 1 tb hdd and it shows 449GB used and 931GB free. I have not let it sit idle was installing all the drives and such but it is running slow. How would I tell if it's completely up to date? it checked for updates before it installed. checked hdd and only had 2 errors on it. Yes a ssd will be my next purchase.

nickwhannan

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
I have no idea, when it asked to keep personal files and apps i said keep nothing but the weird part was my old screen saver stayed but nothing else. I mean do you think i need to take my pc in to get it looked at by a professsional. i can usually solve problems by myself but this one has me stuck.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
Do this instead. Get a USB drive (8GB or more).

Google windows 10 installer (or use this link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209)

Use this utility to create a windows 10 bootable usb key.

Now once you get to boot from the usb drive.

it should start the installer. At this point however go to repair my PC, troubleshooting and get a command prompt.

At command prompt, type 'diskpart'

then in diskpart type the following.

'list disk'

it should tell you your disks, remember the number of the disk you want to erase and install on.

Now type 'select disk 0' or possibly this 'select disk 1' (just depends on the number your 1TB drive is).

Once you have selected the 1TB drive in diskpart and your sure you have nothing you need on it type "clean" and hit enter.

This should wipe your 1TB drive 100%.

at this point you can type 'exit' to get out of diskpart.

Now you can type 'setup' and hit enter and do your install again.

This should give you a nice clean slate.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

Sorry wasn't trying to step on anybodies toes just took me a bit to type all that and didn't see any good suggestions yet.

I generally always do a diskpart/clean between a fresh install. Windows does a good job partitioning it all out on a blank drive.

nickwhannan

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
so gave it through the night to do its thing and am still getting spikes just sitting here typing this to 90%+ disk then it goes back down to 1%. yes I just purchased a product key for windows 10 pro. I guess i will have to do the clean wipe if it keeps up. I feel like the problem is a lot of window apps are running in the background that makes it spike or no?

nickwhannan

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
reason i asked that is bc when i go into services I have things like this running with high PID. 128832-windows error reporting service, 11468- diagnostic system host, 9360- humna interface device service, 8804 User data storage_562a8, etc. Are these programs possibly causing my issue?

So this is usage you're talking about not space ??

I've had this same issue mate in the past.

What's the rest of your hardware??

Open task manager , then resource monitor - you'll sew exactly what is creating disk usage under the middle drive tab.

For me it was compattelrunner(windows telemetry tool) & the geforce experience app , these were both scanning literally every file on every boot , 100% disk usage for 40 minutes at a time.

warhead0

Distinguished
Yes background apps do need some resources to continue running, the ones you just mentioned are all fine.

If you want to do a little looking type 'msconfig' into start and have a look at the services (hide all microsoft) and see if there are apps that are out of place that you can disable, same goes for the start-up services, see if there's anything you don't need in there and disable it.

I doubt disabling one or two services is what's causing your issues but who knows, it might help a little.

To add , on previous version of win 10 I had to take admin control of the compattelrunner file & remove it completely.

Since the creators update (which reinstalls it & gives control back to windows ) I've been able to leave it alone.

Are you on the creators update now ??

No - its an update , although it does write over windows completely & moves the old install to a backup folder ready for deletion or for downgrading back.

The media creation tool will either prompt you to update OR to make a USB install drive or iso file

I would suggest selecting the iso file option.
The reason being if the upgrade install fails it has to be downloaded again completely

Make an iso file , extract it from within windows & run the setup file.