Trying to reinstall windows 10 from USB

RobWasHere

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
So I just finished changing my mobo (MSI X370 gaming pro carbon) and I'm stumped on getting the USB flash drive to boot the windows installer. So far it just boots to the blue windows logo and 3 dots that make up the loading icon appear below the blue logo but after that it just sits there with no progress as after the 3 dots appear and begin to circle around it freezes. This is being done on a machine with W10 already installed but due to Mobo change the typical fail to boot to windows forces me to do a reinstall. I've made sure to use USB 2.0 and only peripherals are plugged in. I'm not sure how to turn off secure boot since I'm fairly new to messing with BIOS. I've tried using the regular USB format from the windows installation tool and format ISO with Rufus but both have the same results. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not worried about the drives being wiped if it comes down to it.

Solution
So obviously UEFI USB is 1st in boot priority list? the 1st from the left? from picture below, it should have a little U on it I think?
9rrvhw.jpg

If motherboard has fast boot, turn it off as some of them will ignore all other USB except keyboard/mouse at start up

PC sounds like its trying to boot off old drive and obviously getting stuck.

Is it a SSD or HDD? If hdd, you could wipe it using http://www.dban.org/ to stop it interfering with installer

Colif

Win 11 Master
So obviously UEFI USB is 1st in boot priority list? the 1st from the left? from picture below, it should have a little U on it I think?
9rrvhw.jpg

If motherboard has fast boot, turn it off as some of them will ignore all other USB except keyboard/mouse at start up

PC sounds like its trying to boot off old drive and obviously getting stuck.

Is it a SSD or HDD? If hdd, you could wipe it using http://www.dban.org/ to stop it interfering with installer

Solution

RobWasHere

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

I've tried to switch the order of boot priority to see which is the HDD/SSD and which is the USB. Still not a 100% sure if its even booting from the USB. Windows is on HDD but there is a SSD in the mix. As for fast boot I haven't seen anything in the BIOS that mentions it or a way to turn it off.
Right now I have UEFI USB Key set as 1st in boot order assuming that is the correct USB.