Computer SOMETIMES gets stuck booting before the windows screen.

Ryan G Aus

Prominent
May 7, 2017
When I turn on my computer I can hear the cpu fan speed up, and the monitor goes that dark greyish colour as usual, however when the cpu fan would normally slow down and I would see the windows icon, I don't. Instead the fan stays at that same start-up speed and my monitor eventually loses signal after a few seconds. If I leave my computer for 30+ seconds I've found that eventually it will finish booting up as usual, with the fans slowing down and getting to the windows screen, but it outputs the display to my second monitor. However then nothing appears on my original main monitor. This has only just started happening over the past couple of weeks. I believe it may have something to do with the creators update which I installed just before this started to occur. As I said, this doesn't happen every time I turn my computer on, maybe 1 in 3. When it does turn on properly my computer runs perfectly with no issues. Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Solution
The obvious thing here is to update your BIOS and drivers to the most current versions.

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the Master Boot Record (MBR) as there may be an issue with a critical system driver. When in doubt, you can always back up your data and do a fresh install of the OS.

Either way, once you're up and running again make sure to back up your computer with a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect) or a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback Rx)

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
The obvious thing here is to update your BIOS and drivers to the most current versions.

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the Master Boot Record (MBR) as there may be an issue with a critical system driver. When in doubt, you can always back up your data and do a fresh install of the OS.

Either way, once you're up and running again make sure to back up your computer with a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect) or a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback Rx)

Solution