Using triple monitors on a new motherboard with onboard 1gb graphics?

Gurdeep_7

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Hello all, I am looking at building my pc and require 3 triple monitors, not for gaming but for work, IT work, project management, running charting software, and using a number internet pages, tabs and browsers simultaneously.

This motherboard 'Asus Intel ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard' states supports 3 monitors, would this be adequate or would I encounter problems? And would i need to add a graphics card?

I have been looking at this board as its more pricey than others as its got wifi and supports 3 monitors, which only Gigabyte offers as well at a slightly lower price. The shared is 1024mb advertised by Asus.

Thank you for helping with this quesiton.

Solution
First of all, there are many lga1151 boards that support 3 monitors using iGPU. Maybe they don't list that in mobo specifications, but they do (well at least those that have three output ports).
The biggest problem when using 3 monitors is type of ports offered by motherboard. The one you listed for example has DVI, HDMI and DP. So you need one monitor that has DVI input, one with HDMI and one with DP (or a lot of adapters otherwise). But there are motherboards that offer D-SUB as one of 3 ports, which would force you to get monitor with D-SUB port.
However, performance wise, running 3 monitors on iGPU should be no problem - of course as long as you don't plan any gaming.
First of all, there are many lga1151 boards that support 3 monitors using iGPU. Maybe they don't list that in mobo specifications, but they do (well at least those that have three output ports).
The biggest problem when using 3 monitors is type of ports offered by motherboard. The one you listed for example has DVI, HDMI and DP. So you need one monitor that has DVI input, one with HDMI and one with DP (or a lot of adapters otherwise). But there are motherboards that offer D-SUB as one of 3 ports, which would force you to get monitor with D-SUB port.
However, performance wise, running 3 monitors on iGPU should be no problem - of course as long as you don't plan any gaming.

Solution

Gurdeep_7

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Hi many thanks for your help, I can always add 4gb or 8gb with 4 output ports if I want to game, is it straight forward to add a graphic card at anytime after putting a pc together. I am installing a 850w psu 80+ platinum from day one?

Gurdeep_7

Prominent
May 7, 2017

Many thanks, that will save some costs for now, also i am installing 1tb ssd as main and 2nd storage 3tb hdd, i want to later maybe add a mirror/raid drive. Please if you know, would i set up the 1tb drive for now in bios as raid 0? and then when i add a second ssd drive set that as raid 1? would my 3tb storage hdd remain as storage or will it default to raid 1 if i set my 1tb ssd to raid 0? thank you again.

Gurdeep_7

Prominent
May 7, 2017

Thank you some one has helped me on this in another thread, i don't need to do mirror!