Thunderbolt Display Compatability

AMDCat

Prominent
May 7, 2017
I am building my first build and have narrowed my CPU down to an AMD Ryzen 1700 and my graphics card is a GTX 1060 or 1070. I am wondering how I should hook up a thunderbolt display (which runs on a single Thunderbolt 2). The display has a camera, microphone, and speakers which I would like to continue using. Is there anyway to keep using the display, what adapters do I need(Apple has a USB C to Thunderbolt adapter), or do I need to even switch my system to intel so my motherboard has a thunderbolt port, or do I need to get a new display (and if so are there any with microphones) . Thank you.

Solution

No that won't work. USB type C is just...
Currently AMD Ryzen motherboards does not support Thunderbolt 2/3.
You will have to stick with Intel's supported motherboards that has Thunderbolt 3 ports integrated or one that support a Thunderbolt 2/3 expansion card.
You will have to buy a motherboard that has Thunderbolt 2/3 support. You can get a Thunderport 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. It's uses usb type c as a connector but it is not a usb c to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, it's a TB 3 to TB2 adapter. It will only work on Thunderbolt 3 ports.
The microphone and speaker should continue to work once you configure your default sound output to your Graphics card's.
Not sure about the webcam but I believe it may require some drivers.

AMDCat

Prominent
May 7, 2017

Thank you for your swift reply

So my solutions are:

1. Get a new display.
2. Switch to Intel and connect from a compatible motherboard

However AMD motherboards have a USBC port and apple has a USBC to thunderbolt adapter, would that work?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?afid=p238%7CsEc33DURg-dt_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_52243316890_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid--product-MMEL2AM/A

Also do you think that there is any chance that AMD will issue support for thunderbolt displays?

Finally if I connect the Thunderbolt Display to the motherboard will it use the motherboard graphics or the graphics card.

Thank you again for your help

No that won't work. USB type C is just a connector and Thunderbolt 3 is a protocol which currently uses the type c as a connector. Having a type c port does not mean you have Thunderbolt 3. USB type c can support Thunderbolt 3 but the motherboard manufacturers have also use a Thunderbolt 3 chip controller and pay the licence to use it.
Right now, AMD isn't too focused on Thunderbolt 3 since it a niche market.
If you connect directly to the motherboard, it will use the integrated graphics.
You may want to use motherboards that support a Thunderbolt 3 expansion card if you want to use your GTX 10 series card to power the display.

Solution