Constant BSOD after creators update. Ran out of ideas.

BSOD_Guy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Since saturday, after getting the creators update, Ive been getting constant different BSOD.

Until now I've gotten all these:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED NTFS.sys
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED NTFS.sys
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ntoskrnl.exe
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ntoskrnl.exe
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION NTFS.sys
BAD_POOL_HEADER ntoskrnl.exe

I have tried several "solutions" from the internet with varying results.

• Check memory: No problems found
    sfc /scannow: Some corruption detected but can't be corrected.
    BIOS: Updated
    Graphic drivers: Updated

I have no idea what else to do. I could go back to the previous update but Im scared that it is only going to make everything worse.

Solution
if the debugger isn't working, would running driver verifer help to identify possible drivers? we could look at dumps using who crashed?

you can try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

Note: I have found it sometimes puts you into a boot loop after running this so it would help to have a copy of win 10 installer to boot into CMD and enter the command verifer /reset
download the Windows 10 media creation...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80de2fa088d, ffff9101aa60d6d8, ffff9101aa60cf10}

the bugcheck was in the nt file system driver, normally you would look for updates to the sata drivers from your motherboard vendor.
the error code c0000005 indicates that a bad memory address was given to the driver.
since you have mixed memory modules you would want to run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings are correct.

- I am having problems with the debugger on current builds, the driver table is corrupted
I am not sure it is the debugger or not but it makes me not trust the debugger so I can not say much about this bugcheck.

machine info:
BIOS Version P2.00
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 05/27/2016
Manufacturer ASRock
Product Z97 Extreme3
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3800MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz

note: mixed memory modules
bank 0 and 2 : 2gb
Speed 1333MHz
Manufacturer Kingston
Part Number 99U5403-002.A00LF

bank 1 and 3: 4GB 1333mhz Part Number CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the debugger isn't working, would running driver verifer help to identify possible drivers? we could look at dumps using who crashed?

you can try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

Note: I have found it sometimes puts you into a boot loop after running this so it would help to have a copy of win 10 installer to boot into CMD and enter the command verifer /reset
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

how to get to cmd
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
enter command

I can't see any clues about the debugger not working now.

only just noticed sfc didn't finish, try this to fix it
in command prompt (admin), copy/paste this command in
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter
once its finished, re run sfc /scannnow and restart PC

if dism asks for source, i will show you that next time.

Solution

BSOD_Guy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Thank you both for taking your time to read the files. Being that the solutions are a bit complex Ill answer back on the weekend when I have the time to try them.

Ill first try to solve the sfc. Then run memtest86 and leave driver verifier/who crashed for last because it is the scariest one (Ill will do a backup just in case a bootloop goes awry).

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had a feeling it might

Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin) (spacing needs to be exact)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

BSOD_Guy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
This is a shitshow. Even the media creation tool throws an error or the pc crashes before it can finish. Does it matter if I create the .iso on another pc?

BSOD_Guy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I went ahead and used the media creation tool on another pc. It cannot find the source. Could it be that no Install.wim exists? There is an install.esd in that folder.

BSOD_Guy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Ok, Ive tried everything.

memtest86 cannot complete the test. It said [CPU Error] Could not start CPU 0

Driver verifier did not produce any crashes but it DID bootloop the computer. DRIVER VERIFIER DETECTED VIOLATION nipcibrd.sys

Several new BSOD happened since my first post. I ran whocrashed. This is the result: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnidy36svxe04y2/whocrashed.txt?dl=0

If nipcibrd.sys is the culprit Ill try uninstalling all software by national instruments.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried this? Test CPU out since you got that error in memtest - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

On Thu 11/05/2017 19:27:48 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051117-11750-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16BFD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x12B (0xFFFFFFFFC00002C4, 0x7E1, 0x34D7940, 0xFFFFCE018CF3C000)
Error: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a single-bit error was found in this page. This is a hardware memory error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This error suggests a case of memory corruption because of a hardware problem. It is suggested you do a test on your RAM modules (memory test).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I have read that the memtest86 error can still mean ram is bad and not be the CPU but I need to read more about specific error to know for sure.

If ram is bad it can cause perfectly good files to appear to be corrupt
http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/nipcibrd-sys/34636803

I was also afraid dism would say that about source. I am not sure what is going on with that, it is the command on the MS web site and yet since the last update, it doesn't always work. Did you have all the spacing in DISM exactly how I gave it as even 1 missing space can mess it up

Since the debugger is being a pain, I would suggest you read the posting instructions on top of the page below and post on this forum as they have other tools they can use to figure out the problems - https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

BSOD_Guy

Prominent
May 8, 2017
The problem has been solved. I uninstalled everything from NationalInstruments and the BSOD went away. The solution was running driver verifier. thank you for all your help.