Windows 10 install on 1 PC - What counts as a "PC"?

Estorm732

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hello.
I'm planning to buy a copy of Windows 10 since I built a new PC with a Kaby Lake processor. A little tight on budget, so going to purchase a 1-PC key.

Short version:
Now my question is, how is this 1 PC determined? It says I can format and install the same copy on the same PC as many times as I want, however if I change certain hardware, would it still be recognized as the same PC? Which pieces determine this? I imagine chaning the GPU or Rams would not affect it, what about the HDD? CPU? MoBo?

Long version:
Truth to be told, I'm having performance problems with the Windows 7 install I have, (apparently Kaby Lake does not support Win7) but I also realized the boxed Win7 I used to own could not be installed on more than one PC at the same time, so gotta purchase a Windows anyway. (Well, duh I guess, but took me many years to realize it)

I'm suspecting my SSD to be part of the problem, and I want to try installing the OS on both the SSD and HDD, but I'm not sure if a single PC key will allow that. Would appreciate some answers on the issue.

Thanks.

Solution
Install Win 10 once and it will then be linked to the MS account you create.

Reinstalling or upgrading parts won't be an issue any more.

Wolfshadw

Titan
OEM versions of Windows are tied to the motherboard. Typically, you can change out any other component without needing to reactivate Windows. However, since the Anniversary Update of Windows 10, if, as mentioned above, you instead tie your Windows license to a MS Account, you can reinstall the OEM version to any single computer that uses the MS Account to log in, regardless if what hardware you upgrade.

Link Windows 10 Product Key to MS Account

-Wolf sends

Estorm732

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for the quick answers! I had read about that but thought to myself if such a method exists, what's the point of selling multiple PC versions for a higher price... Oh well, good to hear this =)

Wolfshadw

Titan
The current license agreement is only valid for Post Anniversary Update Windows 10. If you are currently running any version of Windows prior to that and you purchase a new motherboard, then by the license agreement, you are required to purchase a new Windows license. Please note that any Pre-Windows 10 OEM license that you purchase now, still falls into that "tied to the motherboard" single use clause. Any post Windows 10 OEM license that your purchase that is NOT associated to a MS account still falls into that "tied to the motherboard" single use clause.

Some people do not want their windows licenses tied to an MS account.
Some people do not want to upgrade to Windows 10.
Retail (vs OEM) versions of Windows can still be moved from PC to PC so long as they are only activated on one PC at a time.

-Wolf sends

Estorm732

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
So, does that mean there are pre-anniversary Windows 10 and post-anniversary Windows 10 OSs around? How can I tell the difference since I haven't seen any mention of that.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you were to purchase a pre-anniversary edition of Windows 10, it would be free to upgrade to post-anniversary edition and then associate your Windows license to a MS Account. You do not have this option if you purchase Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 as the free upgrade period has ended*.

-Wolf sends

* There are some accounts stating even though officially ended if you were to attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1 using the media creation tool, Windows 10 would still activate.

TRENDING THREADS