Windows Creation Tool wont create

bostonstump

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I have Windows 10 on my desktop PC. It was upgraded from Windows 7 some time ago.

I am trying to use the "mediacreationtool.exe" from microsoft's website to create the data needed to install windows10 onto my new build, with an external 1TB SSD device (samsung evo).

The program works up to the point of asking me which settings id like to create windows with for another computer (regarding language etc). I have tried both options the tick box allows, but either way it takes me to "8GB of free disk space needed on C - [CLOSE]".

This is frustrating because I am not trying to create anything on C, i am trying to create a tool on my external drive to install windows on a new PC. I am not telling the program to upgrade this PC, I am telling it to create media for another PC.

Looking forward to help, I feel like Microsoft are trying to get me to buy one of their USB devices.

Solution
no, its windows wanting 8gb free space on PC to make the installer -
Ok, I figured this out in case: you need to have at least 8GB of space on the partition containing your system files, even to create a bootable USB key. Kinda strange but hey, no big deal.

having 157gb of free space on C, I never ran into this problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can't install win 10 using a hdd, the only things the media creation tool does is make an ISO to be burned onto DVD or you can use it to make a USB. The installer cannot be run off a hdd like you want.

Just buy a normal USB and make your own.

Colif

Win 11 Master

I think what they are doing is running it as if its creating a USB but pointing the install location at an external hdd and the installer is going wait, this isn't a USB and not going any further. If you tell it create an ISO it downloads it all but I think it creates the USB on the fly. I could be wrong, its been a while.

bostonstump

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I dont understand the issue. I do not own an 8gb or larger USB flash drive, and I think it's really silly that I can't use my 1TB Samsung evo, it has not been used for OSX and only contains video/music that i have backed up. I'm sure it uses seagate hardware so should be compatible...

If this doesnt work how can I be sure that any cheap USB will?

Im currently clearing space on C, even though I dont know why it needs that space.
Will update if anything changes.

bostonstump

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
NO, let me explain further :)

1: run mediacreationtool.exe as admin
2: agree to terms
3: upgrade this pc OR create for another pc? - CREATE
4: select architecture - use recommended options for this PC (have tried both options)
5: not enough space on C, please make space.
6: CLOSE

----

Update: I have cleared my C drive and can now proceed further. I just need to log into my admin account apparently.

This installer is not very clear! If anyone is having this problem you need to make space on C even though you are not using that space :S nice one Microsoft!

will update if it works.

the problem is more likely the drive you're trying to use a 1TB drive to install a program on something that is only 4GB. the media creation tool is more likely designed to not accept drives that big for install media because why would anyone?

a 1TB external SSD drive is not the same as a USB flash drive

Colif

Win 11 Master
no, its windows wanting 8gb free space on PC to make the installer -
Ok, I figured this out in case: you need to have at least 8GB of space on the partition containing your system files, even to create a bootable USB key. Kinda strange but hey, no big deal.

having 157gb of free space on C, I never ran into this problem

Solution

Like I said upthread, I have literally done this hundreds of times without any issues. It sounds like maybe your C: drive is going bad. You might be having some kind of hardware issue if you can not download and save a simple file.

bostonstump

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Done. Thanks for the replies and effort!

I guess i was silly to not just listen to the tool and make space on C.
But my questioning mind convinced me something weird was happening as I didnt want to use my C drive in this case.
I guess the tool needs C space to create data and then move it onto an external drive/ flash drive.

thanks all