Doubble adapter setup (HDMI 1.4a > Display port > DVI dual link)

Kristoffer_10

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
I recently bought a acer GN276HL(144hz) monitor to use with my laptop (Acer aspire VN7-591g)

My laptop has a 1.4a HDMI output, and the monitor a VGA port, HDMI port (1.2 as far as i can tel.) and DVI dual link port.

I realize i wont be able to achieve greater than 120 hz at 1980*1080 but thats fine, the problem is right now im limited by the monitors inferior HDMI port which bottlenecks me at 60 hz.

As there are no active HDMI - DVI dual link adapters on the market as far as i can tell i was hoping i could first use a HDMI > Display port and then one of the numerous active Display port > DVI dual link adapters.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or know if it is even possible in the first place (regarding compatibility etc.)

thank you in advance

(sorry for the poor english, its my second language)
/kris

Kristoffer_10

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

Hey the paladin - i am a little confused, could you elaborate?

Surely my bottleneck right now is the HDMI 1.3 input on the screens end? - the HDMI 1.4a can output the needed pixel clock rate, the HDMI 1.3 on the screens end just cant recieve it - while a DVI dual link can.

thanks

Just use any 1.3 or newer HDMI cable.

Though if it doesn't have 1.3 or higher, than your only option is to use a straight dual-link cable.

Return it and get a monitor with hdmi 2.0.

1.4 was common for a long time, so it's surprising it's only 1.2.

Kristoffer_10

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

Hey, i have allready taken the monitor in use for a week or so and the return policy is expired.

I was quite confident the cable was only 1.2 or lower, sadly i didnt read the manual carefulyl enough to read the max bandwith of the screen (which i must correct myself on, it has to bed 1.2 or lower)

I find ti super frustrating they even sell a 144 hz with a outdated HDMI standard that is incompatible for the refresh rate(without clearly disclaiming it), but nevermind that.

Si basically, there is no way to use

First HDMI to DP converter
Then active DP to Dual link DVI converter?

Thank you for your response¨

/Kris

Well, it's more you should have done your research first. And not tried to do it with a laptop. A laptop with only a 960m, is gonna have trouble reaching 144hz in many games.

Kristoffer_10

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

I mean the only way to find the information is through the manual that ships with the product or to download this manual form a thrid party online.

either way, i only play CS:GO and am reaching a reasonable FPS level for it to make sense.

But back to my question - still remains unanswered.

Wether it is possible to daisy chain
HDMI 1.4a to DP

Then get an adapter from DP to Dual link DVI

Thank
/kris

TRENDING THREADS