SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Blue screen

James Sumihiro

Reputable
May 24, 2015
My desktop will not start up properly and I receive the error SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I have tried the following:

Clean windows installation with GPU removed.
Clean windows installation on a different SSD.
Clean windows installation with one RAM stick removed/the other stick removed

I get varying amounts of time with windows after a clean install before the crash happens, but after one crash, windows will always crash during boot up.

I once managed to run sfc /scannow on one SSD, but only managed to open the log before immediately crashing. I did notice that a sector related to an open cl dll contained an error, which makes me think this may have something to do with the integrated GPU on the cpu.

What I'm wondering is, Is there a way to fix this? and if not, which is more likely: that I need a new CPU, or that I need a new motherboard?

Many thanks in advance for your help! I'm a hardware neophyte so I need all the advice I can get.

Update: safe mode also crashes during boot up with the same error

James Sumihiro

Reputable
May 24, 2015

Safe mode crashes during boot up with the same error.

James Sumihiro

Reputable
May 24, 2015

Tried creating a fresh windows bootable usb. Seems to be working so far, no crashes, although I also flashed BIOS, so that could have been the fix as well. Still not sure why the problem happened in the first place, as the desktop had been running fine for a year. Nevertheless, many thanks! Will add 'try fresh windows bootable' to my list of fixes.